From:
Michael Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:47:36 +0000
My sister-in-law has just returned from a business trip to the USA. She
tells me she took a taxi in Washington, and was surprised to find an Ada
textbook on the seat. (She didn't say which one. Sorry, chaps, but she's
a biologist, not a software engineer.) She pointed it out to the driver
who confessed that he was learning Ada in his spare time, and what a
wonderful language it is.

In the UK, we have just learned that Siemens are recruiting London
cabbies to drop into their conversations with their passengers
references to how wonderful the Siemens cellular telephones are.

Are we missing a trick here? Should we be encouraging all taxi drivers
to promote Ada to their passengers? Or is it simply that Washington has
the most technically advanced taxis, and the drivers need to develop
that little extra skill?

--Michael Pickett--