From:
John Apa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:07:40 -0700
Hmm, I spent a year planning/bidding to do FAA certification for
avionics under DO-178B. There was nothing fast or ad hoc about it. If
anything, it made CMM and ISO look weak. A big problem we had was
finding code test/coverage tools for our Ada compiler. Management
thought tools were to expensive and wanted to do all the coverage
testing manually at the assembly/object code level, new hires/interns
are cheap right? We were not at all hopeful about being able to convince
the DER that the manual method would meet the needs, much less the
schedule. The contract ended up being a bust because of the end
customers unachievable requirements, and their lack of flexibility vs
schedule.

The FAA people we dealt with were pretty sharp. But I understand that
the quality varies depending on which FAA region you fall under.

John T Apa                              [log in to unmask]
L-3 CSW                                 (801) 594-3382
640 North 2200 West PO Box 16850        Salt Lake City, UT. 84116-0850