From:
Dave Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:14:01 -0700
Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> simple example. I wanted to write an ODBC based application to do some
> Oracle database things (update tables, do SQL stuff , etc..).
>
> Called Oracle, they have no ODBC drivers for Solaris or UNIX, only for
> NT. If you want to write using ODBC for oracle on UNIX, you have to buy
> your own ODBC driver from other places like intersolv many be. ALso,

So far, it's an issue of the DBMS vendor, not Ada...

> after that, you need to go hunt the internet looking for Ada SQL
> bindings, becuase the Ada standard libraries come with no SQL binding.

Lucky that on NT you can use the Win32Ada bindings which
are free and are included with ObjectAda and cover ODBC
(also compatible with GNAT if that's your bent), or one of
a number of vendor-specific options. For Unix, I'm not sure
of a free set, although we do offer a set that come with
our product.

> Now, with Java, I need do none of the above. the SUN JDK comes with the
> java.sql package ready to use. Oracle also have free JDBC driver for
> java you can download and use. I have not checked Sybase, I am sure they
> have or will have a java ODBC based driver to download for free.
>
> The bottom line, is that with java I have all the pieces I needed to
> write my application from the platform I wanted.

Seems like this ought to be the same story for Ada, given
that ObjectAda/AppletMagic has full bindings to the JDK.
Have you tried to use them?

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, Win32 and Java products