From:
"Beard, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beard, Frank
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2001 18:06:28 -0400
We ported a system of ~180K SLOC of Ada 83 on HP-UX BLS to Ada 95
on Windows NT.  We did not have to change any of the pure Ada code.
The are very few things that differ from Ada 83 to Ada 95.  And the
compiler is probably the best way to determine any problems there.
The only part we had to worry about was the OS calls.  Since, we
were using POSIX, we took the POSIX spec and wrote the bodies to
call Windows APIs, since no POSIX binding existed at the time.

If your port only involves switching platforms (Ada 83 on Sun OS
to Ada 83 on Solaris), then your only concern is differences in
OS calls.  If you're using POSIX, then you just need to find the
POSIX binding for Solaris.  If you're using your own pragmas
to the OS, there shouldn't be much difference between Sun OS
and Solaris.  Hopefully, your OS specific calls were hidden in
the body of package so that they are transparent to the users of
the package.

In any event, during the link you will find out which calls don't
match.

Maybe some of the Sun OS/Solaris experts will jump in and correct
me if I'm wrong.

Frank