From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:46:58 -0800
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.
To: Steven Deller et al.

What you are describing is referred to as a clinical trial. Splitting an
introductory course into halves would only confuse the students. The correct
way to do this is to run two courses in parallel or perhaps sequentially.
The students for the two sessions theoretically should be drawn at random.
However, I do not believe that this would be possible in a normal university
environment. A reasonable check of equivalence would be their grade-point
average in other subjects. The placebo effect should be balanced out. The
popular enthusiasm for Java should be more than equal to the well-based
Professor's professional knowledge. If possible, the second course in the
curriculum should be taught in the other language (Ada to Java; Java to Ada)
and the ratios of the grades in both languages compared.

The ultimate and most accurate test is a double blind study where the test
procedure or drug names are hidden. I do not see how this can be done with
software languages. Another very good test is to measure maintenance costs.
As far as I know, this has not been done by any branch of the US Government.