From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:44:21 -0800
To: Ed, Jerry et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

The truth is many applications are mission critical. For instance, if I need
to send a Fax or e-mail concerning the funding of a grant proposal or to
deal with the family business, I want RELIABILITY! To many employees who
receive a paycheck, the program that produces their check is mission
critical.

At present, the use of Ada significantly increases the reliability of
software. Of course, it does NOT guarantee reliability. I might add that I
believe Ada's major benefit to a manager is not that it permits elegant
software engineering; but, that it causes the hackers to quit. One does not
have to purge them. This is a tremendous administrative benefit.

"If your life or livelihood depends on software, you should use Ada."

Real validation is when the compiler vendors use their own tools to run
their business including the payroll.