From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:00:56 -0800
To: Wesley Groleau et al.
From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

Subject: Language Efficiency

If you look at Jones' data, it becomes obvious that we should use either
MathCAD OR Excel. My report on commercializing Ada comes to the conclusion,
that Jones' has once again proven that domain specific libraries and tools
increase programming efficiency. If you wish a preprint, I will send you the
.PDF file. This preprint will be posted to an appropriate Web page (CAUWG).

I might add a comment, which I hope does not hurt anyone's feelings. Having
spent almost 40 years doing science, analytical cytology and cancer
research, I am totally horrified at the level of many computer science
studies. Most of what I read would be totally unacceptable in the scientific
literature. To this day, the DoD does not know the comparable costs of using
programming languages. Ada does NOT need a mandate; she needs hard data! I
have not seen any data proving that the CMU Capability Maturity Model levels
have anything to do with quality or cost. Admittedly the level of an
organization appears to be correlated with their capacity to estimate cost
and delivery time. However, usability and maintainability are also very
important.

http://www.spr.com/library/0langtbl.htm  -  Capers Jones' data
http://www.spr.com/library/0funcmet.htm  -  a discussion of that data