From:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Grudin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 20:43:19 -0800
I have been appointed to succeed Founding Editor-in-Chief Dan Olsen at the
ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. Kenneth Anderson has been
appointed Information Director, and Carolyn Cheung is Administrative
Assistant. All can be reached at [log in to unmask]

TOCHI Associate Editors do most of the work. They are Marc Brown,
Jack Carroll, Joelle Coutaz, Wayne Gray, Jim Hollan, Scott Hudson,
Hiroshi Ishii, Rob Jacob, Bonnie John, Jock Mackinlay, Allan MacLean,
Brad Myers, and Randy Pausch.

Dan Olsen has left the journal in good shape. Almost no backlog of accepted
papers exists: A strong, original article submitted to TOCHI can reach
publication relatively rapidly. To streamline the process, Ken and I are
moving TOCHI to digital submission and distribution of manuscripts. Details
of the new submission process are found on the greatly expanded TOCHI website
at <http://www.acm.org/tochi/>.

Please take time to examine this website and send us your comments. We are
enthusiastically committed to iterative design.

The field of human-computer interaction is undergoing tremendous expansion,
diversification, and specialization. Ten years ago the big story was the
relative ascendance of software over hardware. For similar reasons, the
next ten years will see an ascendance of human-computer interaction. To be
part of this, TOCHI will seek articles that originate in diverse
specializations and application domains, articles that may take novel
perspectives yet which are informed by a broad knowledge of HCI work.

Although there will always be basic research that is far removed from
application, and practical development that offers little to the research
community, our field has an extraordinary level of traffic between research
and development. Perhaps by working more closely in coordination with the
magazine "interactions," TOCHI will, with your participation, contribute to
the dialogue involving research and development.

For those who don't know me, I've been on the faculty of the Information
and Computer Science Department at the University of California, Irvine for
six years. I spent 5 years as a programmer and software engineer at Wang
Laboratories and 3 years at the Austin consortium MCC. My first research in
HCI was conducted with Phil Barnard and Allan MacLean at the MRC Applied
Psychology Unit in Cambridge (UK). I've taught at Aarhus University, Keio
University, and the University of Oslo. My research focus is computer-
supported cooperative work and groupware.

Please visit the website, where you can reach the full text of past TOCHI
issues. Consider submitting a manuscript that we can help guide into this
important archival journal of our field.

Jonathan Grudin, Editor
ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction
CRITO, 3200 Berkeley Place                         Email: [log in to unmask]
University of California, Irvine                      Phone: (714) 824-8674
Irvine, CA  92697-4650  USA                             Fax: (714) 824-8091