From:
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 13:16:39 -0800
On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Philip Brashear wrote:

> All,
>
> PLEASE CALM DOWN!
>
> Be careful what you say, please.  I'm seeing messages that indicate hurt feelings
> and messages that carelessly cause hurt feelings.  Please remember that we are
> not the enemy.  (Unless you're a Pogo fan.)  Critics, please temper your criticism.
> Those who are criticized, please don't overreact.  We don't need dissension within
> the community at a time like this.

  Phil, et al,

  Since I have been one of the harshest critics of the report's conclusions,
  let me reaffirm that I repect the authors as well as others who have
  a different point-of-view.  I will not engage in ad hominem attacks.
  However, the esteem with which I regard the authors of this report does
  not diminish my view that it has reached incorrect conclusions based on
  insufficient data.

  Some recommendations in the report are good, such as continuuing the
  funding for AJPO.  It is the abandonment of the  single-language policy
  where the default is Ada that I believe is wrong.  But my opinion, in
  this regard, should not suggest that I am denouncing the members of the
  committee.  They are, every one of them, far more intelligent than me,
  and their contributions individually and collectively outweigh mine by
  a wide margin.  Nevertheless, I still believe the recommendation to
  abandon the Ada policy is just plain wrong.

  Richard