From:
Al Christians <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al Christians <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:09:05 -0800
"Crispen, Bob" wrote:

> Second, your real problem is that you can't run CGI scripts,
> regardless of the language and regardless of the method,
> unless you've got a web server running on your PC that
> supports the Common Gateway Interface (CGI).

I tried a few of these last night.  I got the best results with
Sambar, but some success also with vq and EMWAC.  EMWAC runs as
a Windows NT service, but Sambar and vq can be run from the
desktop or command line, I think.  It takes a little bit of
fiddling to configure these, but it is not impossible, as I
eventually succeeded.  Vq is a server written in java, and it is
the smallest download, less than 400k.  The others are just a
few megabytes to download.  I recall that the download for the
MS personal web server was about 75 megabytes.

Links:

http://www.sambar.com/

http://www.vqsoft.com/vq/server/index.html

http://emwac.ed.ac.uk/html/internet_toolchest/https/contents.htm

http://serverwatch.internet.com/webservers.html

The last link above is a site with reviews for many web servers.
There is listed there a server written in Tcl available from
Scriptics.  It is also a small download, and the Scriptics site
suggests that it might be a good one to start with if you want
to include the web server as part of an application.  Anyone
know how easy that would be to do with TASH?

Al