Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:36:26 -0400
From:
Doug Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Chuck,

I'll comment. PL/SQL works and is very similar to Ada. In syntax and semantics, it is essentially a subset of Ada. Then it adds the syntax and semantics to do SQL in a fairly clean way:

  -- Print a list of Employees earning more than the Upper_Limit
  for I in (select Last_Name, First_Name from Personnel
             where Employees.Wages > Upper_Limit) loop
    -- || is the same as Ada's &
    HTP.print (i.First_Name || i.Last_Name); -- HTP is a Hypertext Transfer Protocol package
    HTP.br;
  end loop;

It includes the same scoping, exception handling, declarative, typing, etc.
It does not include generics, tasking, or appendixes - however I haven't used the latest version of Oracle; so there may be some enhancements.

This is a quick and incomplete reply, but should help. I encourage you to continue investigating. I've even taught more experienced PL/SQL programmers some of the subtle semantics of PL/SQL which were learned using Ada.

703-742-8662