From:
David Botton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:02:16 -0700
Your are very correct in the Ada integrates well with
VB and that GUIs, etc. can be done in VB and that use
Ada Code. in your code you are just shelling out to
Ada from VB. I have also, integrated VB and Ada using
these methods:

1. Using COM
2. Using a DLL
3. Using a DLL and a Type Library that has the DLL
spec

The COM option is a increadibly easy now using
CreateCOM (see http://www.adapower.com/com):

1) You create a simple IDL file defining the COM
object
2) Compile it to a type lib using MIDL
3) Run CreateCOM on it
4) Fill in the bodies of the interface methods for the
COM object with your Ada code.
5) Compile the Ada code
6) Register the Dll or Exe version of the COM object

You can then easily access the object from VB or any
other language! In VB just select the Ada COM object
from the menu and start using it.

You can do more advance COM stuff like events, etc.
also. I am continuing to work on the tools and COM
frameworks. Soon it will be possible to create a less
powerful COM object using a couple of lines of Ada
code with out going through the IDL, TypeLib, and
tools. An Ada tool to create TypeLibs is also planned.

David Botton