From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 07:29:25 -0700
From: Bob Leif
To: John McCabe, Richard Riehle et al.

1) The reason an engineer uses an 8051 class microprocessor is NOT its
instruction set; it is all of the other system parts that are included on
the chip and the existing software base. 2) There are now extended versions
of an 8051 which could probably execute code produced by an Ada compiler. 3)
Developing a code generator for these chips probably is not cost effective.
However, there are Ada compilers which produce C and J codes. This is a
reasonable way to work with these chips. In principle, J codes would be the
preferred solution. Ken Bowles' Old UCSD P codes were a good solution.
However, does anyone have any experience with real-time processing with an
Ada J code compiler? If it is negative, can the J code virtual machine be
fixed?