From:
"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kester, Rush W.
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:28:39 -0400
Why compete with CORBA, Annex E & DCE where there are already solutions
in Ada and other language.

XML is an area with much potential.  An Ada product that would allow
a user to specify their own XML keywords then parse and process XML
based data, and provide stubs for processing their data, it would be
IMHO the right product at the right time.

The Super XML product could use Alex & Ayacc to produce much of the
skeleton code for the user's unique XML application, but it would be
supplemented by Ada code developed by the Ada product team.  The package
could also be bundled with a GUI builder such as GtkAda so that users
could easily build their own applications.

The product would have to be packaged with an Ada compiler and various
tools and libraries.  We should also provide instructions for interfacing
to other popular languages.  While some users might simply use the Ada
skeleton to interface to their current favorite other language, it would
demonstrate Ada's interoperability with other languages.  It would get
an Ada compiler on more peoples computers.  And it would get more
programmers
interested in Ada.

Rush Kester
Software Systems Engineer
AdaSoft at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: (240) 228-3030 (live M-F 9:30am-4:30pm, voicemail anytime)
fax:   (240) 228-6779
http://hometown.aol.com/rwkester/myhomepage/index.html

http://www.chips.chalmers.se/Chips/dokumentation/rapporter/OS-DCE.html

See also http://www,mitre.org/research/domis/reports/DCEvCORBA.html To
oversimplify, CORBA is better for Object-Oriented work, and has some
low-level capabilities that DCE lacks.  However, DCE has more high-level
capabilities (distributed file system, for example).

An Ada implementation, using CORBA, of some significant DCE subsystem
might be another big "seller."

It would also be nice if more Ada compilers validated Annex E.  I know of
at least one vendor who has stated to at least one customer that since
CORBA, the Ada Annex E is superfluous and they won't waste money on it.

Similarly, I know of Ada programmers that say Annex E is useless because
it's Ada-only, and one-language systems are a thing of the past.

What about an ASIS tool that creates CORBA IDL from Annex E package
specs?  Or non-Ada bindings to Ada specs? (Instead of the reverse).

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau