From:
Roger Racine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roger Racine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:57:01 -0500
At 04:46 PM 2/19/2001 , Tom Moran wrote:
> > Now Microsoft weighs in with "Their source crashes so seldom
> > that we're
> > losing customers, so let's see if we can make their source
> > illegal."
>   To be distinguished from Netscape's "They are giving away their
>browser for free and thus killing us."
><g,d&r>

I see the difference as being Microsoft did not really give away their
browser.  They bundled it with the operating system.  Since they had an
effective monopoly on the operating system, they tried to get an effective
monopoly on the browser.

I think that the intent of the company is what makes the difference.  And
the law is already reasonably clear on what is "dumping" (selling a product
for less than its cost), and when it is not legal.

Roger Racine