From:
"Dale Jr, William" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Jr, William
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:21:44 -0700
Here is a call to program!

Ham Radio is an active domain with many computer programs to do lots of
things from design radios, antennas, etc. to build and track satellites.
All of these programs are written in some other language than Ada as far as
I know.   Very few are open source - Hams' seem to think they can get rich
selling stuff to other Hams' ;-)

Recently the FCC revised the license structure to reduce the classes to
licenses to three :  Technician ( no-Morse Code) ,  General ( 5 wpm code)
and Extra (also 5 wpm).  Each class also has a  written test.  The question
banks are public and in text form at http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html
but some questions include diagrams and figures published in pdf format.

I propose to write a training and testing program in Ada that reads the
question bank and submits questions to the user.  This program can be built
to work off-line or online using JGNAT or other JVM Ada compiler.

An online version of such a program already exists - written in Java/Perl
probably :  http://www.wvara.org/wvexam/   I want to rebuild it in Ada and
eventually add more training information.  A off-line version adds the
ability to make the tool more mobile.  A JVM version could run on Mac's and
even Palm Pilots where Ada has very poor support.  All would be open source.

Such programs will get wide dissemination and offer a chance to show Ada's
strengths.  Hand them out source and all at any conference or meeting you
attend.  I plan to get working on it later this month.

William L. Dale
N2RHV
Milpitas ARES/RACES
http://www.qsl.net/mares