Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:07:14 +0000
It may be worth mentioning the amount of investment that the European Space
Agency has put into the ERC32 project. This is a Radiation Hardened Chipset
based on the SPARC architecture and built by MHS (or whatever they happen to be
called now!) in France. Allied to this is a [probably] large amount of cash that
appears to have been passed in the Aonix direction to make sure there is an Ada
compiler for it! I believe there are also specific efforts to make other
languages available for it based on gcc, although I'm not sure if there is any
intention of paying for GNAT to be made available.

The other thing that may be worth mentioning wrt ESA is the development of the
ATAC (Ada Tasking Co-Processor) which I believe they funded. I can't remember
much about this piece of kit (or even if it is still available), but it was
supported by the TLD Mil-Std-1750 Ada Compiler.

Certainly ESA have spent masses of cash on systems programmed in Ada, the last
one I worked on was Envisat-1 which effectively had an Ada mandate on it. Given
the way ESA works, I certainly can't see them just abandoning that investment
for a long time to come.

John