Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 13:37:02 +0000
John,

>It seems you agree that the gov't should look into making it illegal
>for each of us to release our code as open source??

Actually - no, that's not what I believe. Unfortunately I left most of the
context of the original message out, and didn't address the bits I disagreed
with.

Of course you can do what you like with the code you write and, in general, I
agree with the open source movement, having made the odd contribution myself.

I do believe however that I should be able to profit from code I've written if I
wish to and that, for large organisations, such profits are a source of R&D
funding that, if the code was open source, would be vastly reduced.

I certainly believe that MS Windows would be a far more stable product if it was
released as Open Source, but at what expense? How many people work for
Microsoft, and how many would be redundant if it was all open source?

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

John

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender
immediately by telephoning +44(1252) 373232. You should not copy it
or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to
any other person.