From:
Hypertext 2001 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hypertext 2001 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:11:55 +0200
|     CALL FOR SHORT PAPERS, DEMONSTRATIONS, POSTERS, & EXHIBITS    |
|       HYPERTEXT 2001 -                                            |
|        THE TWELFTH ACM CONFERENCE ON HYPERTEXT AND HYPERMEDIA:    |
|        TRANSFORMING INFORMATION, ENTERTAINMENT, AND CULTURE       |
|       http://WWW.HT01.ORG/                                        |
|       AUGUST 14-18, 2001                                          |
|       LAKE LECTURE THEATRE, UNIVERSITY OF AARHUS, ÅRHUS, DENMARK  |
|           (* Please forward to interested colleagues *)           |

IMPORTANT DEADLINE APPROACHING

May 10th, 2001:         Short Papers, Doctoral Consortium submissions;
                        Poster proposals, Demonstration proposals, and
                        Exhibit proposals due
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES

June 15th, 2001:        Bernie submisions due
May 31st, 2001:         Notification of acceptance for Short Papers, Doctoral
                        Consortium submissions, Posters, Demonstrations, and
                        Exhibits;
August 14-15, 2001:     Hypertext 2001 - Tutorials and Workshops
August 16-18, 2001:     Hypertext 2001 - Main Conference

HYPERTEXT 2001 - THE TWELFTH ACM CONFERENCE ON HYPERTEXT AND HYPERMEDIA

From online documentation aboard aircraft carriers to distance learning
degree programs to interactive entertainment, hypertext and hypermedia have
already begun to transform our world. The foremost international conference
on hypertext and hypermedia, the International Hypertext conferences have
brought together scholars, researchers, and practitioners from a diverse
array of disciplines-including computing, literature, law, art, medicine,
business, journalism, philosophy, psychology, and engineering-to consider
the form, role, and impact of hypertext and hypermedia.  Hypertext 2001
will continue to provide a forum where attendees can exchange and discuss
ideas on hypermedia, as well as its design and use in a variety of domains,
while also considering the transformative power of hypermedia and its
ability to potentially alter the way we read, write, argue, work, exchange
information, or entertain ourselves.

Hypertext 2001 welcomes discussions from designers and users of hypermedia
applications and works in academia, business, entertainment, and
industry. Here attendees can discuss all aspects of hypermedia, ranging
from navigational aids, time, and infrastructures to digital libraries,
interactive literature, virtual and augmented reality environments, gaming,
human-computer interaction, software engineering, computer-supported
collaborative work, and, of course, the World Wide Web. A particular focus
of this conference will be on papers dealing with experiences and
evaluation of hypertexts. Formats for presentation include papers, panels
and technical briefings, short papers and posters, demonstrations,
exhibits, courses, workshops, and a doctoral consortium.

Topics include but are not limited to:
   o Interactive games and entertainment
   o Effects of hypermedia on business or industry
   o Experiences with the application of hypermedia
   o Innovative hypertexts and novel uses of hypertext and hypermedia
   o Web-based hypermedia drama
   o Collaborative hypermedia technology and applications
   o Hypermedia in virtual environments and augmented reality environments
   o Hypermedia in fiction, scholarship, and technical writing
   o Hypermedia in education and training
   o Empirical studies and hypermedia evaluation
   o Hypermedia and time: narratives and storyboarding
   o Hypertext rhetoric and criticism
   o Integration and open hypermedia architectures
   o Large-scale distributed hypermedia
   o Structuring hypermedia documents for reading and retrieval
   o Theories, models, architectures, standards, and frameworks
   o Hypermedia user interfaces
   o Object-oriented hypermedia
   o Hypermedia infrastructure technologies
   o Hypermedia middleware and components
   o Hypermedia authoring
   o Hypermedia for the Internet

For submission details, please go to the conference website,
available at http://www.ht01.org/.

SHORT PAPERS

Where full papers tend to involve fully fledged discussions and
analyses, short papers are better suited to specific issues or
aspects of hypertexts. Short papers tend to be both less formal and a
higher proportion of short papers are accepted for the conference
than are full papers.

Submissions

Short paper submissions for HT'01 are due May 10, 2001. No late
submissions will be accepted. In addition, HT'01 will accept
electronic submissions only. PDF submissions are highly preferred,
however Postscript submissions will also be accepted as long as all
fonts required to view the document are embedded. Short papers are to
be two pages in the conference format (see the content of the
templates provided for further explanations of the format.) Short
paper submissions are accepted starting February 1, 2001 through the
conference web site found at http://www.ht01.org/.

NOTE: Evaluation of short papers is carried out under the assumption
that the submitted version is the final version, the schedule does
not allow any further revisions.

Templates

Authors are strongly encouraged to use one of the existing document
templates to create their paper. HT 2001 requires submissions to be
in "final format," to promote a uniform style for the final
proceedings and to ease the revision process for accepted
manuscripts. Templates will be available from http://www.ht01.org.

Contact Information

If you have any questions, contact:
[log in to unmask], Program Chairs, Hugh Davis and Yellowlees Douglas
formatting questions may be addressed to:
[log in to unmask], Proceedings Chair, David Durand

Important Dates:
May 10th, 2001: Short Papers due
May 31st, 2001: Notification of acceptance for Short Papers

DEMO & POSTER PROPOSALS

Submissions

What is a good poster?
Posters are a great way to communicate more informally with the
hypertext community. Unlike papers, which must represent finished
work that is a substantial contribution to the field, a Poster is a
great way to test new ideas, generate interest in a research area, or
describe useful or interesting work that is not substantial enough
for a paper presentation. Posters are interactive! Posters are
displayed throughout the conference, but there will be a specific
period during which poster presenters will be asked to be present to
answer questions on the poster topic.

What is a good demo?
One that shows something that people haven't seen before, or have
never seen implemented as well before. Product demos are welcome, as
well as demonstrations of research projects. Any technology --
hardware or software -- is fair game that has the potential to
enhance the perception and management of interlinked information.
Demo and Poster proposals should be submitted as 2-page descriptions
using the conference paper format. These should be supplied as
Postscript, PDF or Word Files, and transmitted by FTP to
ftp1.dynamicdiagrams.com and placed in the /pub/ht00 directory. This
directory allows files to be written, but not listed. Submissions
should be have filenames consisting of the contact author's family
name, an underscore and their first name, followed by an optional
number (in case of problems with FTP or the need to transmit
corrected versions of a file). For instance I could submit files as
Durand_David1.ps, Durand_David2.ps, etc.

Once the file is correctly uploaded to the FTP server, send email to
[log in to unmask] with the following information:

* Author's name(s) and affiliation(s)
* Title of the Poster or Demo
* Mailing address
* Name and email address of the primary contact for the submission.
* Demo presenters should also describe any network, power, or
projection needs in their email. We cannot supply computers for demos.

If you expect that your demo may involve special electrical, space,
or network resources, please describe these as clearly as possible in
your initial submission email to [log in to unmask] We will be sending
additional details, and perhaps asking additional questions, once we
have reviewed the submissions.

Contact Information

For further details, or to submit a proposal, please contact the
Posters and Demos Chair at: [log in to unmask] or contact the chair
directly:
Sigi Reich at [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:
May 10th, 2001: Posters and demonstrations due

EXHIBITIONS

Exhibits are intended to demonstrate one or more commercial products
of interest to the conference community. They differ from
demonstrations in that they need not make an original research
contribution.

Exhibitors will receive a draped table and a small amount of floor
space (exact sizes are still to be determined). Exhibits may run the
entire duration of the main conference program (8am-7pm August 14-15;
8am-12pm Fri, August 16). Exhibits will be placed alongside research
demonstrations and posters. The conference reception will be held in
the exhibit/demonstration/poster room(s).

The cost for one exhibit space is $500 for the entire conference.
Exhibit space may not be rented for less than the duration of the
entire conference. No security for the exhibits is provided, although
a small number of conference staff will be available at all times. A
reasonable amount of power outlets will be provided. Internet
connectivity is planned, but cannot yet be guaranteed. The names of
all exhibitors, their contact information, and a small amount of
product information will be made available in an exhibits guide,
which will be given to every conference participant.

Exhibit proposals will be reviewed for relevance to the conference.
To submit an exhibit proposal, please send an e-mail to the General
Chair at [log in to unmask]

In your mail, please provide the following information:

* Your name and contact info (e-mail, phone, fax, post address)
* Your company name (and URL, if applicable)
* A brief description of the product(s) you wish to exhibit
* A description of the resources you will need (how many exhibit
spaces, power outlets, internet connections, etc.)

DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM

Submissions

The HT01 Doctoral Consortium is an opportunity for a group of PhD
students to explore the common ground amongst their research
interests together with established researchers. The objectives of
the consortium are to provide a setting for mutual feedback on
participants' current research and future direction and to develop a
supportive community of scholars and a spirit of collaborative
research.

The Consortium will consist of a Workshop held during the conference
and a Virtual Workshop held via the Internet in the weeks preceding
the conference. There will also be social events held at the
conference. Doctoral students in an advanced stage of their studies
(beyond proposal stage) are invited to apply for participation in
this event. About a dozen students will be invited to participate.
Each student will be expected to give a research presentation at the
workshop and to prepare materials to be distributed for the Virtual
Workshop. To apply, email a CV, a letter of recommendation from your
advisor/supervisor and a position statement of about 1000 words to
the Doctoral Consortium Chair,

Contact Information

For further details, or to submit a proposal, please contact the
Doctoral Consortium Chair at: [log in to unmask] or contact the chair
directly:
Ken Anderson, [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:
May 10th, 2001: Doctoral consortium proposals due
BERNIES

Following their success last year, the Bernies Awards will again be
presented at ACM's Hypertext 2001 Conference. The Bernie Award is
presented to the Best Hypertext by an >>Engineer or Scientist<<.
Although literary hypertext is a successful and growing field, the
writings of people from technical disciplines make remarkably little
use of links. The Bernies provide an informal challenge to focus the
enthusiasm of the hypertext community to Get Linking!

Open to any Engineer or Scientist, particularly those who attend
Hypertext, Digital Libraries or Web conferences, the challenge of The
Bernies is to submit a short hypertext which makes good use of links.
The hypertext, which must be viewable with a standard Web browser,
can be from any genre, can be on any topic and can be simple text,
simple media (speech, music, video) or a complex multimedia
presentation. The sole criteria on which the entries will be judged
is how well they use hypertext links. Creativity, humour and brevity
are encouraged, but appropriate and inventive linking are the focus.

Submissions

Submissions should be made by June 15th, after which date all entries
will be opened to public display and votes will be collected from the
hypertext community. Full submission instructions can be found on The
Bernies Homepage, http://www.bernies.org/ or via http://www.ht01.org.
This award, hugely prestigious within the hypertext community, has NO
CASH EQUIVALENT. The award will be presented at the Hypertext 2001
Conference.

Contact Information

For further details, please contact the Bernies Chairs at:
[log in to unmask] or contact the Bernies chairs directly:
Les Carr, [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:
June 15th, 2001: Bernie submissions due