From:
Ada Marketing <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ada Marketing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:43:31 -0500
Stephane,

I agree with the general points about it being bad to have global variables.

My approach here has always been to try and encapsulate the global data.  Then it
isn't global.  Thus if you have a data type that must be shared across multiple
packages, declare a package for the data, make the data private (or limited if has
access types), then export operations to act on the data (an array in this case).
This localizes the control over the data so classic global data access problems are
eliminated.  E.g.

generic
  Data_Type is private;
package My_Data is

type Global_Data is private;

function Get(Data : in Global_Data) return Data_Type;
procedure Put(Data : in out Global_Data; Item : in Data_Type);
procedure Do_Other_Things;
private
end My_Data;