From:
John McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:09:55 -0500
At 10:37 AM 4/20/2000 -0400, Michael Feldman wrote:

>Solving problems that appear at the ends of chapters, and so on,
>is part of the homework. Authors do not usually give out full
>solution sets to the public, for precisely this reason. In my case,
>my publisher stores a solution set in a password-protected ftp site,
>to which (only) a bona fide instructor can gain access. The student
>told me privately that his class is using John McCormick's fine book;
>perhaps John will weigh in here with a comment.

Mike, thanks for the compliment!  Particularly since I admire your books so
much.

Like Mike's my publisher also make solutions to all exercises available to
instructors.  I also include the solutions in the back of the book to about
one third of the 560 exercises.

>Please take heed and lend your support to the educational process.
>Team-ers, I promise not to undercut your work, if you promise not
>to undercut mine.:-)

Well put!

I want to applaud the student's honesty in telling us that he was working
on a class assignment.  I've seen a lot of requests for answers to
exercises in my textbooks posted as though they were not class assignments.

 I thought that the initial hints given on by Team-Ada members were
reasonable responses.  Hopefully they were enough to get him to complete
the task BEFORE the complete answer was posted.

John

John W. McCormick                [log in to unmask]
Computer Science Department      [log in to unmask]
University of Northern Iowa      voice (319) 273-2618
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0507       fax (319) 273-7123
http://www.cs.uni.edu/~mccormic/