From:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jim hopper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:59:07 -0400
Friend sent me this.  i havent seen the book yet, but looks like something
we will all want ;-)

jim

> "Surviving Object-Oriented Projects: A Manager's Guide"
> by Alistair Cockburn
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201498340/ref=ad_cp1
> "I consider C++ the most significant technical hazard to the
> survival of your project and do so without apologies,"
> writes Alistair Cockburn in "Surviving Object-Oriented
> Projects: A Manager's Guide." Drawing from his 20 years of
> experience, the author dispels many of the common myths
> about software project management in this lively and
> provocative title that refuses to repeat truisms about
> designing with objects. Even if you sometimes disagree with
> Cockburn, his advice on creating object-oriented software
> offers a valuable perspective on what can and often does go
> wrong with many software projects. He offers numerous ways
> to save the day and deliver projects that are within budget
> and on schedule.

At a recent computer software engineering course in the US, the participants
were given an awkward question to answer.  "If you had just boarded an
airliner and discovered that your team of programmers had been responsible
for the flight control software, how many of you would disembark
immediately?"
                    unknown author