From:
Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:59:12 -0400
GUIs in Ada interests me a lot. I often seem to have the choice of Java,
Python, Ada, awk, etc. And I prefer Ada as a language. But is there any
reason to prefer it as a GUI builder?

How could I tell how easy it is to build GUIs?

Or what other kinds of license I would have to buy to do the GUI? This
mail list often cited in the past that you had to buy Microsoft Visual
C++ or some such product in order to use the interface in one of the
common Ada compilers. So, without any further information, we simply
don't use that interface, possibly years after that problem may have
been solved.

Is the GUI license like the graphics package (that the company that
became Aonix sold me), that will not work unless I buy a license from
another graphics company, and even then I would have problems knowing
what features it would have?

As a project leader, it is not someone else, but me myself who is asking
the question: Okay, do it in Ada if you are sure it will work and will
not waste months learning how to build GUIs that way?

I saw some sample code that you had to write to do a web site in Ada and
it looked like it would be easier to learn Java than to learn how to
build web sites the Ada way. So I am not building my websites in Ada,
even though Ada is my preferred language for such things as natural
language processing, cryptography, and mathematical research.

Is there a website somewhere that shows how EASY it is to build websites
or GUIs in Ada? Perhaps a sample Ada program serving as a middle-tier,
responding to CGI scripts by serving up a database on another server as
XML and HTML?

And perhaps a website somewhere that shows how EASY it is to build GUIs
that work on all three operating systems (linux, Solaris, windows)?

Is there perhaps a website that shows how to read the keyboard
interrupts and mouse interrupts in linux and windows?

Sometimes Ada lovers have to go to Python because we need faster
development time or to Java because we need more operating system
independence.

Someday I will get around to programming the dynamic structures of
Python in Ada for non-realtime work to get the advantages of faster
development.

But I would need some help in getting the operating system indepenence
for such things as http drivers, mouse drivers, keyboard interrupts,
ODBC, and GUIs.