ACMWE_SC Archives

acmwe_sc

ACMWE_SC@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Natasa Milic-Frayling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Natasa Milic-Frayling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2019 21:41:45 +0000
Dear Paola and Tiziana,

As promised, I am sending you a press briefing document that, I hope will be helpful to you when taking part in the PR event on Tue about womENcourage 2019 and Women in ICT. We obtained details about the event (in Italian) and thanks to Google Translate ☺ got a better idea what is involved.

We expect that you have lots of experience with the press and know well the journalists who will be present. So, we will leave to you to judge what you can bring up during the discussion.

With the enclosed document we just wanted to assist with two things

-          The briefing statement, which unfortunately, is not very flattering to women in computing (explained below)

-          Facts and information about ACM, ACM Women, ACM Women Europe, womENcourage - we compiled information in one place so that you do not need to browse web pages, etc.

If you would like to discuss any of these, I am available tomorrow evening, after my meetings (I am in Denmark at the moment). Below I explain the rationale behind the arguments put forward in the briefing document.

The matter of gender in computing is very delicate and ‘popular’ with governments and press. We want to make sure that press related to ACM-WE womENcourage is in no way offensive to women in our professional community. I am sure you think the same and will make sure that does not happen.

All the best on Tuesday, and keep us posted ☺.

Best regards,

Natasa

Prof Natasa Milic-Frayling – Chair, ACM-WE – mobile: +44 787 0566 404 – email: [log in to unmask] – skype: natasa-milic-frayling

Press Conference on womENcourage 2019  - Tue, 10 Sept’19

TOPIC:             ACM WomENcourage 2019.

                           WOMEN IN ICT PROFESSION. NOT ENCOURAGING AT ALL.

Digital transformation affects all sectors of society and produces extraordinary changes in the most diverse areas. Women, however, are self-excluded from this process, because they choose not to acquire the computer skills that are crucial. European data for 2018 show that there are only 24 out of 1000 ICT graduates in total (2.4%) of which only 6 actually work in the sector. It is estimated that with a female percentage in ICT equal to that of men, European GDP would increase by about 9 billion a year.

Normally, it is not advisable to engage in discussions that start with such a strong negative statement. This essentially says

-          Women are willingly not engaging, even though there are so many interesting opportunities

-          Women are not skilling themselves

-          If they did, the economy will bloom (increase by EUR 9B) but women are not engaging.

However, I am optimistic that this is not intentionally done to demean women but to argue that it is important to make women interested in the subject. That, of course, would then lead to the discussion of programmes for girls, etc. that I believe you would like to cover.

Nevertheless, all the statements above would be rather disconcerting to professional women. I, personally, would insist on changing the statement to allow a proper debate instead of having to defend the negative position. For example, the discussion could be:

-          There are ways of promoting a specific profession and motivating participation of all the members of the society.

How effective are government’s and professional communities’ efforts to increase women participation in the field of computing.

That is a fair and open discussion where one can bring positive and negative aspects.

If, however, the brief remains as is, from womENcourage and ACM-WE perspective we want to respond through seven points we put in the document. In essence, they involve the following arguments:

-          One cannot accuse women for ‘self-excluding’, i.e., not engaging, since there are many factors that influence professional decisions (not just women ‘will’).

-          Computing field is still ‘young’ and evolving (much younger than medical field, for example, where we find many professional women).

-          It has been recognized that educational programmes need to change to increase computational literacy across the board and establish interest among students.

-          Participation of women in the workforce is changing with the socio-economic factors.

-          When the conditions are right  (there are opportunities and there are no barriers that individuals cannot remove themselves) women will make choices and will be able to engage. ICT industry is no exception.

-          ACM, as the largest international organization of computing professionals, is concerned with supporting ICT professionals in achieving skills, adhering to high standards, and having  fruitful and fulfilling professional engagements.

-          ACM Women is an ACM Council that focusses on supporting and recognizing achievements of professional women in particular. With ACM Women Europe, as a regional committee, ACM reaches to women across European countries.

-          womENcourage is ACM-WE flagship Celebration of Women in Computing that enables students and junior professionals to network and exchange knowledge and experience with established ICT professionals. Thus, it directly contributes to the sustained participation of women in the field of computing.