BAYCHI-DR Archives

ACM SIGCHI BayCHI SF Bay Area Design Research (Announcements)

BAYCHI-DR@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Franci McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Franci McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:03:08 -0400
All,

This is a friendly reminder about our upcoming event. We hope you will be able to join us Thursday, August 23rd, for a joint presentation between the Design Research BOF and Kids' Media BOF. Come learn about "Please don’t face-plant into the TV: Researching games with kids", presented by Sarah Walter. Meet at Citrix in Santa Clara at 6:30pm for snacks and socializing, and the presentation begins at 7:00pm. See more details below. Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting. You do not need to be a member of BayCHI to attend this meeting. Feel free to forward to anyone else you think might be interested. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Franci McFarland & Julie Baher, Co-Chairs of the BayCHI Design Research BOF
Jia Guo, Chair of the BayCHI Kids' Media BOF

Please don’t face-plant into the TV: Researching games with kids
User researchers working on video games usually seek to answer two questions: 1.) Is this product usable? 2.) Is this product fun? Games user research (GUR) teams have utilized usability and playtest methods for more than a decade to help uncover issues related to these questions. As games and players become more diverse, so have our methods. In this talk, I will discuss methods GUR professionals use in testing games, focusing on my experience in research for children’s movement-based games. The strengths and weaknesses of each method overlap, enabling practitioners to build a strong overall research program integrated throughout the game development cycle.

Bio
Sarah Walter is an independent games user researcher and consultant in San Francisco. Previously, she worked as a games user researcher at Microsoft Studios on adult and children’s games for Kinect, Xbox 360, mobile, and PC. Sarah has a BS in cognitive science from UCLA, and a PhD from Stanford where she studied collaboration in an online gaming guild via virtual ethnography. As a former interaction designer, she knows the agony of watching usability sessions of one’s own designs.­

Complete abstract and bio will also be posted at : http://www.baychi.org/calendar/20120823a/
Directions: http://www.baychi.org/bof/usability/20120823a/directions/

Please note we recently changed our name from the Usability Engineering BOF to the Design Research BOF. In the coming weeks the web site and email list will be updated to reflect our new name - in the meantime please pardon any disparities.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://listserv.acm.org/scripts/wa-ACMLPX.exe?SUBED1=BAYCHI-DR&A=1