BAYCHI-DR Archives

ACM SIGCHI BayCHI SF Bay Area Design Research (Announcements)

BAYCHI-DR@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Franci McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Franci McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 19:35:36 -0400
Invitation: Tues 3/20 BayCHI Design Research Event - Boo! Hiss! Personas!

All,

This is a reminder that you are invited to join us Tuesday, March 20th at 5:30pm at a panel discussion sponsored by the BayCHI Design Research BOF and hosted by Chegg.

Come learn about "War Stories from the Design Research community: Boo! Hiss! Personas! AND how to successfully use them".

Join us at Chegg in Santa Clara starting at 5:30pm for snacks and socializing. The presentation begins at 6:30pm and there will be opportunity for additional snacks and socializing afterwards. See more details below.

Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting. You do not need to be a member of BayCHI to attend this meeting. Feel free to forward to anyone else you think might be interested. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Franci McFarland & Julie Baher, Co-Chairs of the BayCHI Design Research BOF

SCHEDULE

5:30-6:30 pm
Mingle and Meet and Greet

6:30-7:30 pm
War Stories from the Design Research community: Boo! Hiss! Personas! AND how to successfully use them

7:30-8:30 pm
More Mingling!

ABSTRACT

Boo! Hiss! Personas

Are you filled with dread when a Product Manager asks you to create Personas? Maybe it’s because you already know what will happen — you’ll spend weeks crafting personas that end up being stored in a pile on your Product Manager’s desk gathering dust.

We recently heard several war stories from User Researchers about Personas. In fact, we learned that many Researchers had a very strong aversion to Personas. For example, some people said that there were other techniques (e.g., use cases, needs assessments, market segments) that more effectively helped teams understand users and inform product direction.

But before we completely dismiss the next PM who asks us to create “Personas” — let’s explore the positive side of Personas. Our Panelists are ready to discuss their Personas success stories! They’ll talk about creating Personas and more importantly, they’ll share how they successfully used Personas in their work.

Kaari Peterson , Director of User Research, Chegg and
Katy Nandagopal , Sr. User Researcher, Chegg will host the panel featuring:
Paige Bennett - Senior Design Researcher, Dropbox
Catherine Cooper - Founder, Empathy Wise
Nikki Knox - Experience Research Manager, Weight Watchers
Indi Young - Independent data scientist, researcher, author, founding partner of Adaptive Path
Xuan Zhao - Senior Researcher, Robinhood

View details on the BayCHI website
http://bit.ly/2FLDlV7

RSVP via the Evite Link
http://bit.ly/2p8QrRP