BAYCHI-KIDS Archives

ACM SIGCHI SF Bay Area Kid-Computer Interaction (Announcements)

BAYCHI-KIDS@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:39:09 -0400
All,

Please join us Thursday, August 23rd, for a joint presentation between the Design Research BOF and Kids' Media BOF. Come learn about "Please don’t face-plant into the TV: Researching games with kids", presented by Sarah Walter. Meet at Citrix in Santa Clara at 6:30pm for snacks and socializing, and the presentation begins at 7:00pm. See more details below. Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting. You do not need to be a member of BayCHI to attend this meeting. Feel free to forward to anyone else you think might be interested. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Franci McFarland & Julie Baher, Co-Chairs of the BayCHI Design Research BOF
Jia Guo, Chair of the BayCHI Kids' Media BOF

Please don’t face-plant into the TV: Researching games with kids
User researchers working on video games usually seek to answer two questions: 1.) Is this product usable? 2.) Is this product fun? Games user research (GUR) teams have utilized usability and playtest methods for more than a decade to help uncover issues related to these questions. As games and players become more diverse, so have our methods. In this talk, I will discuss methods GUR professionals use in testing games, focusing on my experience in research for children’s movement-based games. The strengths and weaknesses of each method overlap, enabling practitioners to build a strong overall research program integrated throughout the game development cycle.

Bio
Sarah Walter is an independent games user researcher and consultant in San Francisco. Previously, she worked as a games user researcher at Microsoft Studios on adult and children’s games for Kinect, Xbox 360, mobile, and PC. Sarah has a BS in cognitive science from UCLA, and a PhD from Stanford where she studied collaboration in an online gaming guild via virtual ethnography. As a former interaction designer, she knows the agony of watching usability sessions of one’s own designs.­

Complete abstract and bio will also be posted at : http://www.baychi.org/calendar/20120823/
Directions: http://www.baychi.org/bof/kids/20120823/directions/

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link: