From:
Rick Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick Freedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2018 17:41:23 -0500
[Apologies if you receive multiple copies. Please distribute this call
to interested parties.]

Call For Papers:

**User Interfaces and Scheduling and Planning (UISP)**

The 2nd User Interfaces and Scheduling and Planning (UISP) workshop will
be held at the ICAPS 2018 conference, focusing on bridging the gap
between automated planning and scheduling technologies and user
interface technologies that can both support them, and also benefit from
them.  More information is available below and at
http://icaps18.icaps-conference.org/uisp/ .

*Topics and Objectives*

Automated planning and scheduling technologies have been useful in
applications ranging from robotics to factory organization to travel
design; many of these applications have been designed by members of the
ICAPS community. The utility of automated planning and scheduling
systems is often constrained by the design of the user interfaces.
Members of the ICAPS community as a whole have noted that the real world
is overlooking automated planning and scheduling technologies in domains
where it should be used; lack of good user interfaces may be one reason
for this.

In parallel with this thread is the potential for automated planning and
scheduling to help design user interfaces. Workflows for many different
user interface tools can be constructed using planning systems as well
as other automated reasoning technologies. Historically, there have been
a small number of investigations of this type; this workshop presents a
new set of challenges to, as well as revives interest in past research
initiatives of, the ICAPS community to help design better user
interfaces.

The time is also right for the ICAPS community to investigate novel user
interface modalities such as natural language processing and augmented
reality as ways to facilitate human-planner interaction. While natural
language processing systems have been developed over at least the past
20 years, the advent of commodity spoken language systems (e.g. Siri)
and natural language processing systems on a chip provides exciting
opportunities for integration with automated planning and scheduling.
Augmented reality is a 'rising' technology; when coupled with computer
vision systems, augmented reality provides new, potentially disruptive
methods for supporting plan execution, if not planning, and augmented
reality systems may benefit from automated planning and scheduling
technology as a form of user interfacing.

The goals of this workshop are thus: 1) to emphasize how automated
planning and scheduling and user interfaces can support each other; 2)
to explore how user interfaces can assist various companies and everyday
users in better understanding automated planning and scheduling for
their own applications; and 3) to discuss how automated planning and
scheduling can be used to improve user interfaces for everyday
interaction. Particular topics in each of these goals include, but are
not limited to:

+ User interfaces for automated planning and scheduling
|- Plan and schedule visualization.
|- Mixed initiative planning and scheduling.
|- Emerging technology for human-planner interaction.
|- Modeling tools and language designs to facilitate planning domain
construction.
|- Metrics for human readability / comprehensibility of plans and
schedules.

+ Automated planning and scheduling for user interfaces
|- Representing and solving planning domains for user interfaces
creation and design tasks.
|- Plan, activity, and intent recognition of users' interactions with
interfaces.
|- Improving user experience via personalized constraints and objective
preferences.
|- Developing user (mental) models with description languages and
decision processes.

We also invite participation from the intelligent user interface (IUI),
artificial intelligence for interactive digital entertainment (AIIDE),
and human-computer interaction (HCI) communities.

*Solicitation and Submission Guidelines*

Authors may submit several types of papers to allow the engagement
between the variety of communities involved in the themes of this
workshop:

+ Ongoing or preliminary research may be submitted as long (up to 8
pages + 1 page exclusively for references) or short (up to 4 pages + 1
page exclusively for references) papers in AAAI format

+ Recently published works at related venues may be submitted for
presentation without publication, but a 2-page (including references)
extended abstract should accompany the published work in AAAI format for
review and inclusion in the proceedings

+ Descriptions of applications that may benefit from user interfaces
for/with scheduling and planning may be submitted as extended abstracts
(up to 2 pages + 1 page exclusively for references) in AAAI format

+ NEW!: We also encourage submissions that show ways to use natural
language interfacing between users and any aspect of automated planning
and scheduling.  The advent of commodity spoken language systems (e.g.
Siri) and Natural Language processing systems on a chip provide exciting
opportunities for integration with automated planning systems.
Conceptual discussions based on relevant literature or related field
studies that show the promise of these technologies will be considered
as well as current work.

Submissions should be e-mailed to [log in to unmask] Please include
the submission type in the message as well as attach a copy of the
submission for review.

*Important Dates*

+ Paper submission deadline: March 13, 2018 (UTC-12 timezone)
+ Notification of acceptance: April 20, 2018
+ Camera-ready paper submissions: May 22, 2018
+ Workshop date: June 25 or 26, 2018

*Organizing Committee*
+ Jeremy D. Frank ... NASA Ames Research Center
+ Richard G. Freedman ... University of Massachusetts Amherst
+ J. Benton ... NASA Ames Research Center
+ Ronald P. A. Petrick ... Heriot-Watt University