From:
Katie Siek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Siek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:56:37 -0700
Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP

Wellness Informatics: Towards a Definition and Grand Challenges (held
in Conjunction with CHI 2010)

The last decade has seen an explosion of health-related human centered
computing research and practice focused on wellness (e.g., good
nutrition and exercise promotion) intended to help people avoid
needing medical care. While Health Informatics may appear to be the
obvious home for these activities, it is a discipline that has focused
on the design, development, and evaluation of systems to process
healthcare data and subsequently aid in patient treatment. Given the
ubiquity of wellness systems we think its time to create a Wellness
Informatics community. The goal of the one-day workshop is to identify
the themes and grand challenges for designing and evaluating
Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) that help people
stay well.

We invite 2 page, CHI Archive Format submissions that articulate new
themes and challenges for Wellness Informatics or that respond to the
following: designing for numerous sources of health data, the end user
as information consumer and producer, multiple levels of data
granularity, the role of the healthcare establishment and the
temporality of systems engagement. We (the organizers and other
committee members pending invitation acceptance) will select
participants based on the strength of their papers, and also for
methodological, disciplinary, and experience diversity. Papers should
be submitted to Beki Grinter ([log in to unmask]) by January 4, 2010.

Accepted authors will have the option to submit a poster at the CHI
WISH (www.chi2010.org/wish) workshop (on April 11, 2010 the day after
the Wellness Informatics workshop)

Note: at least one author of each accepted paper must register for the
workshop and for one or more days of the CHI conference.

For more details please see: http://www.wellness-informatics.com/

Important Dates:
   4 January 2010 Paper Submission (email [log in to unmask] if you
need an extension)
1 February 2010 Author Notification
22 February 2010 Final Paper Submission (Shared with Workshop
Participants)
10 April 2010 Wellness Informatics Workshop @ CHI 2010

Katie A. Siek, Ph.D.
University of Colorado at Boulder