From:
Kostas Karpouzis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kostas Karpouzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:20:47 +0200
Games for learning Workshop, Foundations of Digital Games conference,
Crete, Greece

Conference URL: http://www.fdg2013.org/ (14–17 May 2013)
Workshop URL:
http://sirenproject.eu/content/fdg-2013-workshop-games-for-learning (May
16, 2013; Tentative date)

So we know that people of all ages like to play. There are even attempts
to formulate the concept of play theoretically and to identify why it’s
so important to our lives. We can even recall that play is one of the
first things we do after we are born, constituting our first man-machine
interface (with toys) and one of the first social activities we engage
in. Even though playful learning is a recurrent vision in pedagogical
thought, the educational system in most countries treats play as
something antagonistic to learning: young students are allowed to play
only during pre-defined sessions between classes and learning usually
relies on formal teaching methods. This distinction was carried over,
until recently, to the respective research fields in digital
technologies: CS people working on games concentrated on the AI-side
(how to make successful computer agents and non-player characters that
play games in an unsupervised manner), while research on
technology-enhanced learning looked for theoretical foundations in the
most traditional learning research, missing out almost completely on
concepts of engagement, playful learning and related concepts which
recently emerged, such as ‘gamification’. As a result, most of the games
produced for explicitly educational purposes from the collaboration of
CS and TEL researchers, may have been effective with respect to their
learning objectives, but they were not in the end adopted by their
prospective users. In addition, game-based learning research has yet to
tap into the potential of using games to cultivate creativity. While
traditional media such as arts and crafts are essential to the
enhancement of certain creative skills, games can be used to explore
approaches to enhancing creativity that draw upon the broader digitally
mediated culture: playing games requires creative skills that many
students are now familiar with in terms of learning and then optimising
the mechanics of a game.

This workshop brings together researchers from the fields of games
research, game AI, intelligent systems, affective computing, design,
human-computer interaction and user experience with people from the
fields of education, technology-enhanced learning, cognitive sciences,
psychology and ergonomics in order to foster the exchange of ideas and
experiences from designing, developing and evaluating learning games in
terms of usability and learning effect. Design characteristics,
methodology and results from five EU-funded projects (FP7 STREP Siren,
ILearnRW, C2Learn, Emote and eCute) will be presented and discussed,
while a discussion session after the presentations will provide the
opportunity to discuss the ideas and concepts presented during the workshop.

The G4L workshop welcomes original research papers from topics
including, but not restricted to:
- Game design
	o User and group modelling for game-based learning
	o User profiling
	o From educational methodologies to game mechanics
	o Mapping graphics and design to learning objectives
	o Designing for mobile and location-based games for learning
	o Tangible and exertion games for learning
	o Gamification, reward systems, transfer to real life

- Game AI for learning
	o User experience and affect-based adaptation
	o Group-based adaptation
	o Selecting proper content for players and player types
	o Adapting to learning performance and objectives
	o Non-player characters as tutors
	o Artificial and computational intelligence for modelling player experience

- Technology-enhanced learning
	o Learning and motivational theories for game-based learning
	o Serious and social games
	o Game-based ‘fun’, ‘flow’ and ‘engagement’ in learning
	o Defining and promoting creativity and ‘out-of-the-box’ thinking
	o UX evaluation of game-based learning
	o Outcome evaluation of game-based learning
	o Instruction via narrative/storytelling
	o Collaboration, conflict and social behaviour in games

- Higher-level concepts
	o playful learning and creative learning
	o user engagement, attention and satisfaction
	o maximising user engagement
	o social context awareness and adaptation
	o alternate reality, augmented reality and news games
	o psychology of gaming
	o ethics and morality in player and non-player characters
	o game-based learning in the school curriculum

Important dates
Paper submission:	March 4
Decision notification:	March 25
Camera-ready deadline:	April 5
Workshop held:		May 13

Submission instructions
All submissions must be in PDF format, and comply with the ACM
proceedings format using one of the official templates
(http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html). Submission
instructions will be available soon.

We welcome videos accompanying submissions to demonstrate the
contribution when necessary. For videos, we require that all videos be
in MPEG 4 encoding using the H.264 codec, 50 MB or less in size, and 5
or less minutes in length.

Organisers
Ruth Aylett,  Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland
Ana Paiva, Instituto Superior Tecnico/INESC-ID, Portugal
Kostas Karpouzis, Institute of Communication and Computer Systems,
National Technical University of Greece
Ginevra Castellano, HCI Centre, University of Birmingham
Evangelia Dimaraki, Pavlos Koulouris, Research & Development Department,
Ellinogermaniki Agogi
Costas Mourlas, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Communication and Media
Studies, University of Athens
Yannis Skarpelos, Associate Professor, Department of Communication,
Media and Culture, Panteion University of Social Studies