Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:53:06 +0100
Sender:
From:
Ben Kirman <[log in to unmask]>
***DEADLINE for fictional paper titles: Friday 8th April, 23:59 UTC***

=========================
FCDFF'16 CALL FOR PAPERS
=========================
www.fictionalconference.com

The International Fictional Conference on Design Fiction's Futures
(FCDFF) is a fictional conference that aims to build links and
discussion among practitioners and academics interested in Design
Fiction. In the past few years we have seen fiction embraced
productively as a tool for exploring how design choices around computing
systems and other connected devices can potentially affect individual
users and society. We have seen influential papers about fiction, papers
comprised of fiction, and papers detailing research that is itself
fictional in traditional (i.e. real) conferences. Indeed, in 2016 an
unprecedented number of papers featuring design fiction are included in
CHI's proceedings, and both ACM GROUP and NordiCHI have explicitly
solicited papers that describe fictions.
To build on and support this movement we are organising the first
fictional conference for Design Fiction research. Please note that
although the conference itself is fictional, this call for papers is
real. Similarly, the location of the conference is irrelevant but the
pertinent dates for submission and notification are below.

IMPORTANT DATES:
----------------
* Paper Submission:         8th April 2016
* Notification of Decision: 15th April 2016
* Camera Ready Deadline:    18th April 2016
* Conference date:          IRRELEVANT

WHAT TO SUBMIT:
---------------
We are inviting real submissions that describe fictional papers and
workshops. Practically speaking, we would like you to submit a title of
a fictional paper or workshop, along with a list of authors (authors may
be real or fictional), and a set of up to 4 keywords.
We are primarily interested in fictional papers and workshops that
reflect on the future of Design Fiction research. From a future
perspective, what will the impact of the current increase of interest in
fictional research be in the long term? How will it change the research
landscape, if at all? Paper concepts could include (but are not limited
to) ideas on:

* Arguments on how to evaluate the quality of Design Fiction
* Reports of Lost Futures and Counterfactual Histories
* Analyses of the relative importance of data and narrative
* Analyses of how fiction is used instrumentally in scientific papers
* Accounts of interaction with fictional systems (fictional user research)

Examples of paper titles could be:
* "Implications for Design Fiction: Reflecting on fiction-gate",
* "Where the Fiction Is: is Bruce Sterling HCI's new Heidegger?"
* "Is empirical research necessary as long as the story is compelling?
And how do we know how compelling a story is?"

The papers and research should be fictional, however we may contact
successful authors for additional commentary after the notification period.

HOW TO SUBMIT:
-----------------
Please submit paper/workshop titles, with authors and keywords, in plain
text, via email to [log in to unmask] before 23:59 (UTC) 8th
April 2016

All submissions will go through a rigorous fictional review process.
As the proceedings are fictional they will not be archived, however we
intend to publish the conference programme as part of the "Future
Scenarios" track at NordiCHI 2016:
http://www.nordichi2016.org/participate/future-scenarios/

FCDFF ORGANISING COMMITTEE:
Ben Kirman, University of York
Joseph Lindley, Lancaster University
Vanessa Thomas, Lancaster University
Shaun Lawson, Northumbria University
Mark Blythe, Northumbria University
Conor Linehan, University College Cork
Paul Coulton, Lancaster University
Debbie Maxwell, University of York
Dan O'Hara, New College of the Humanities