From:
Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:09:32 +0200
[our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

Dear colleagues,

A few seats are left for our UBICOMP workshop on subliminal perception.
Please submit your position statements (papers) online at
<https://www.pervasive.jku.at/Ubicomp12/submissions/openconf.php>

In order to meet Ubicomp deadlines, submission (rolling review) is
possible until June 30th, 2012.

Kind regards,

|  WORKSHOP "Methodical Approaches to Prove the Effects of Subliminal  |
|            Perception in Ubiquitous Computing Environments"          |
|  Pittsburgh, PA, USA; September 8, 2012                              |
|  colocated with UbiComp 2012 (http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2012)    |
|  Workshop website: http://www.pervasive.jku.at/UbiComp12             |
|  Submission: Rolling until June 30th, 2012                           |

--------------------------| WORKSHOP SUMMARY |--------------------------
There has  been much  debate around  perception of  subliminal cues, and
their effect on human behavior, especially whether such an effect indeed
exists or is only a false marketing  myth (Vicary, 1957). As the preven-
tion of  additional cognitive  workload in HCI is a topic of  increasing
importance, new forms or  modalities of  interaction  between humans and
interfaces need to be explored.
One promising approach is to use subliminal stimulation or the injection
of information below aware perception. To throw light on this issue, the
workshop is  centered on the  questions how  subliminal  effects  can be
scientifically supported or how a certain claim could be empirically re-
futed.

Researchers are welcome to submit position  papers by May 28th, 2012 via
the electronic paper submission system available at the workshop website
(http://www.pervasive.jku.at/Ubicomp12/). Papers must  describe the app-
roach and experimental setting used for testing  subliminal  interaction
in HCI, as well as provide a discussion whether or not the  effect could
have been scientifically supported. More detailed information about aim,
submission and review process, etc. is available at the workshop website
(http://www.pervasive.jku.at/Ubicomp12/).

---------------------------| Workshop Themes |--------------------------
We are interested in receiving contributions & discussing topics at  the
workshop related to:

* Philosophy, rationale for the use of subliminal  interfaces in UbiComp
   environments
* Ethical issues in application of subliminal perception and impact
* Risk assessment in subliminal interfaces (from the view of the user or
   the system developer)
* Qualitative/quantitative  evaluation  methodologies for the perception
   of subliminal information
* Subliminally  delivered  information and relation  to other constructs
   such as cognitive load, perceived performance, emotions, etc.
* Characteristics of subliminally delivered information (e.g., reachable
   bandwidth, natural bounds, complexity of  information, appropriate mo-
   dalities, speed of perception, strength/ duration/frequency)
* Effectiveness of subliminal  perception in UbiComp  environments (such
   as context-aware adaptive interfaces, user-aware adaptive  interfaces,
   personalized commercials,...)
* Subliminal  perception  using  different  modalities (visual: flashing
   picture, video, text; auditory:  compressed  speech, music, non-speech
   sounds; haptic/tactile; olfactory, or others)
* Issues with subliminal  perception, such  as social acceptance or pre-
   ference, privacy issues, security issues
* Individual differences in threshold of subliminal  perception (gender,
   age, (dis)abilities, cognitive style, cultural/ethnologic background)

Please submit  your  position papers of up to 6 pages in SIGCHI archival
format using the workshop paper submission system available at

https://www.pervasive.jku.at/Ubicomp12/submissions/openconf.php

SIGCHI templates can be downloaded at the the UbiComp 2012 template web-
page  at (http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2012/calls/templates.html). Sub-
missions do not need to be anonymous.

Workshop website: <http://www.pervasive.jku.at/UbiComp12/>
Contact: <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

------------------| Important Dates for the Workshop |------------------

* Submission deadline: Submission: Rolling until June 30th, 2012 (ext.)
* Notification of acceptance: July 4th, 2012
* Workshop date: September 8th, 2012

Please feel free to contact the organizers at any time.

Andreas Riener, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria
Myounghoon Jeon, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Miriam Reiner, Technion Virtual Reality and NeuroCognition Lab, Israel
Pierre Chalfoun, Universite de Montreal, Canada

For TPC see: <http://www.pervasive.jku.at/Ubicomp12/comittee/>

More detailed and continuously updated information can  be found  at the
workshop website.