From:
Akhil Mathur <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akhil Mathur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2020 20:13:41 +0100
ACM AVI 2020 Workshop

Data4Good: Designing for Diversity and Development

https://sites.google.com/view/data4good/home

September 28th, 2020

Island of Ischia, Italy

***Remote attendance will be facilitated***

OVERVIEW

As smartphone penetration continues to expand throughout the Global South,
and various "AI for/and Social Good" efforts prepare to dominate technology
trends in such parts, challenges related to the robustness and utility of
data infrastructures become increasingly pressing. For data to be
meaningful, they must be collected, stored, understood, analyzed, and
visualized, all from a holistic and contextually appropriate perspective.
There are challenges encountered in each of these stages, however, given
the cultural, technological, and/or infrastructural specificities of
multilingually diverse and resource-constrained parts of the Global South.
This is also increasingly true for many diverse regions in the North.

Across domains of global development such as global health, education, and
agriculture, among others, all prominent focus areas for AI for Social Good
efforts in the Global South, the data burden is borne by low-literate
workers from socioculturally and economically diverse backgrounds. Low
digital expertise and different vantage points mean that these workers lack
the kind of data literacies required of them by their employers. Although
AI for Social Good as well as Machine Learning for Development (ML4D)
conversations are rapidly unfolding in computing venues such as NeurIPS and
International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR), they may
benefit from taking a more human-centered approach towards the design,
deployment, and evaluation of AI-based technologies in global development
contexts. These are the important conversations that our workshop seeks to
advance.

DATES

July 28th: Submission deadline

August 6th: Notification of acceptance

August 21st: Camera-readies and registration due

September 28th: Half-day workshop

September 28th-October 2nd: AVI 2020 (main conference)

CONTRIBUTIONS

We invite researchers and practitioners in the interdisciplinary domains
intersecting HCI, AI, ML, design, and global development to engage in
dialog around how a human-centered design perspective might be suitably
factored into the technological advancements being researched in upcoming
AI- and ML-focused work. We solicit participation across members of the HCI
research community who are motivated to address the following topics:

Interfaces and Visualization
- Novel Interfaces for Deriving Qualitative/Quantitative Insights from Data
- Interfaces to support data literacy among Multilingual users
- Information Visualization Tools and Techniques for Data Literacy
- Data Literacy for End-Users in the Global South

Data Infrastructures for Social Good
- Data Collection and Field Research
- Data Quality
- Data Sharing
- Privacy and Transparency in Data Analytics

User-Centered AI
- Interfaces for Explainable AI
- User-centered Evaluations Techniques and Methods for AI-based
Technologies in the Global South
- Study of Public Concerns with AI technologies

Data Literacy in Specific Application Areas, such as:
- Public/Global Health
- Education
- Agriculture
- Refugee Resettlement

PARTICIPATION

We invite submissions of position papers in the CHI Extended Abstracts
format, 2-4 pages in length. PDFs of submissions can be emailed to Luigi De
Russis at [log in to unmask]

These will be reviewed by all organizers based on relevance, originality,
and overall quality. At least one author of each accepted paper is required
to participate in our workshop.

All workshop participants (including non-authors) are required by the
conference to register for the workshop (not necessarily for the
conference). We do plan to facilitate remote attendance.

OUTCOMES

Accepted and presented papers will be made available on CEUR Workshop
Proceedings, while workshop results will be published on our website.
Notifications will be mailed to the authors within 15 days of receipt (and
no later than the dates reported above). Workshop results will be
summarized and submitted as an article or blog post in Interactions or
Communications of the ACM.

ORGANISERS

Luigi De Russis, Politecnico di Torino, Italy

Neha Kumar, Georgia Tech, USA

Akhil Mathur, Nokia Bell Labs & University College London, UK