From:
Mor Naaman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mor Naaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:12:40 -0400
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Please Distribute ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How can we understand how people use the Web for work, personal and social
activities? How can we use design – of services, interfaces, and devices –
to improve the Web for people everywhere? If your work is concerned with
such human-centered questions, it belongs in the WWW2012 "User Interfaces,
Design, and Social Factors" track.

The World Wide Web Conference (to be held in Lyon, France from April 16-20,
2012) is the premier venue for research on the evolution of the Web, the
standardization of its associated technologies, and the impact of those
technologies on society and culture. Human-Computer Interaction research
greatly contributes to our understanding of the Word Wide Web and it can
substantially shape its future. We urge you to submit your strongest work to
the conference.

As demonstrated by the detailed CFP below, this track will appeal to many
HCI subfields and communities. We believe that the HCI research should
continue to expand its presence at this important (and highly competitive)
venue, to enhance the field's influence on future Web technologies.

Important dates:
Abstract Submission: November 1, 2011, 9pm PST
*Paper Submission: November 7, 2011, 9pm PST*

Important Links:
Conference: http://www2012.org
Full list of tracks: http://www2012.org/?page_id=1316
User Interfaces, Design, and Social Factors Track CFP:
http://www2012.org/?page_id=1581

We hope that you will consider submitting your work to this year's WWW
conference (and as you are start thinking about your paper, please
distribute this call in your community).

Your track co-chairs,
Mor Namaan and Björn Hartmann

---

*User Interfaces, Design, and Social Factors Track Description:
*
People use applications and services on the Web through multiple devices for
many purposes: personal information management, work and commerce,
entertainment, creativity, and for the creation and management of social
relationships. To guide the future of the World Wide Web, we must deepen our
understanding of how people interact with devices (of any size), with
places, and with each other through the Web. Papers in this track may study
existing and novel Web services through methods such as experiments, formal
user studies, surveys, or ethnographies.

Evolving user needs also call for the design and development of novel web
applications, user interface toolkits and design tools, intelligent adaptive
systems, interaction techniques and novel devices to access and contribute
to the Web. Papers in this track may introduce demonstrations and
validations of new systems that improve how people create, interact with,
adapt and share information online.

Finally, to support user understanding and human-centered design, robust
user models and well-reasoned experimental and evaluation approaches are
needed. This development can help chart the success of the devices, services
and applications that are built.

We invite original and high-quality submissions addressing aspects of the
design, creation and evaluation of applications and services for the Web.
The relevant topics include, but are not restricted to, the following:

• Design and evaluation of novel interaction techniques on the Web
• Studies of social and cooperative application and services
• Design and maintenance of online communities
• User interface toolkits for Web applications
• Novel devices and interfaces for the Web
• User experience on the Web
• Accessibility and usability of Web services
• Mobile web interfaces, interaction techniques, applications and
presentation
• Design and evaluation of Web applications in the developing world
• New methods for user-centered experimentation and evaluation on the Web
• Design, user studies and evaluations of new and existing applications and
services, including (but not limited to) :
 • Collaborative filtering, and interactive recommendation systems
 • Collective intelligence and crowdsourcing interfaces
 • Creativity support tools
 • Search and sensemaking
 • Intelligent and adaptive user interfaces
 • Location-based and context-aware applications and services
 • Information visualization and visual analytics
 • Interactive advertising platforms and applications
 • Games and gaming on the Web