From:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Dray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:00:47 -0600
[Apologies for cross-posting]

CALL FOR PAPERS and PARTICIPATION

User Centered Design and International Development A workshop at CHI 2007
Saturday, April 28, 2007 San Jose, California USA

Much work in international economic and community development emphasizes
empowering host communities in designing and controlling development
projects.  Many development projects make use of information and
communication technologies

(ICTs) as part of their plan. However, there  have been few explicit efforts
to bring together the international economic and community development, user
centered design (UCD) and interaction design communities to  find ways of
designing more appropriate and effective  solutions that truly meet local
needs.

The aim of this workshop is to initiate such a dialogue.

Specifically, we hope to extend the boundaries of the field of Human
Computer Interaction (HCI) by spurring a discussion on how existing UCD
practices can be adapted and modified, and how new practices be developed,
to deal with the unique challenges posed by the context of international
community and economic development.  We call this User Centered Design for
Development or UCD4D.

This workshop will provide a space to exchange experiences, explore
differences between developed and developing world contexts, to develop new
partnerships, and to learn from each other about problems we have
encountered, the solutions that we have proposed and ways of working that we
have discovered.

Topics that we hope to cover in the workshop include:

*  experiences of interaction design in developing countries or with
traditionally underserved populations in developed countries;

*  uses and adaptations of participatory methods in economic and community
development projects;

*  cultural factors in designing for economic and community development;

*  innovative techniques for engaging users in developing world contexts;

*  examples of solutions that are sustainable in context.

We also hope to use this workshop to begin to build an international
community of engaged scholars and thoughtful practitioners who understand
each other and who can bridge between disciplines and boundaries to create
appropriate, effective and sustainable community development solutions.

Outcomes from the workshop will be reported in the journal Information
Technology and International Development (http://mitpress.mit.edu/ITID). In
addition, based upon submissions and the review process we expect to publish
a special issue of the journal on the workshop themes.

***************PLEASE NOTE***********************

There will be a bursary for selected participants from developing economies
whose proposals are accepted to help make it possible for them to attend the
workshop.  We are happy to announce that we hope to provide reimbursements
of up to $2200 in travel expenses for selected participants.

Those interested in applying for the bursary may contact Celeste Buckhalter

([log in to unmask]) or Susan Dray ([log in to unmask]) or visit the
Workshop website (http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~mikeb/UCDandIDWorkshop/)
where the application is available for download.  All completed applications
should be submitted to Michael Best ([log in to unmask]) as soon as
possible.

For more information on the workshop, please see:

http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/~mikeb/UCDandIDWorkshop/

For more on the CHI2007 conference, please see:

http://www.chi2007.org/welcome/

This workshop will be open to anyone with relevant experience or interest in
UCD4D and/or ICTs in international economic and community development.

To participate, please submit a 2 page position paper describing your
experience, findings or interests relevant to the themes of the workshop.

Participants will be chosen to represent a good cross section of communities
and key themes.

Papers can be submitted by email to Andy Dearden at [log in to unmask]
Accepted papers will be posted on the workshop website.

Important dates:

January 12th 2007: Submission deadline

February 1st 2007: Notification of acceptance

April 28th 2007: Workshop

Please note:  As with all CHI workshops, at least one author of accepted
papers needs to register for the Workshop and for one day of the conference
itself.

Organizers:

Andy Dearden - Sheffield Hallam University , UK

Michael Best - Georgia Tech, USA

Susan Dray - Dray & Associates, Inc., USA

Ann Light - Queen Mary University , UK .

John Thomas - IBM , USA

Celeste Buckhalter - Georgia Tech, USA

Daniel Greenblatt - Georgia Tech, USA

Shanks Krishnan - Georgia Tech, USA

Nithya Sambasivan - Georgia Tech, USA

Susan M. Dray, Ph.D., CHFP

Dray & Associates, Inc.

Minneapolis, MN  USA

Phone:  +1 612 377 1980

Fax:  +1 612 377 0363

susan [dot] dray <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  [at] dray [dot] com

www.dray.com

"If the USER can't use it,

it doesn't work!"T