From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 10:56:16 +0100
Posted on behalf of Aimilia Tzanavari [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

---------- Many apologies if you receive this CFP more than once
-------------

CALL FOR PAPERS
Conference Workshop on HCI design patterns Mapping User Needs into
Interaction Design Solutions
13 September 2005, Rome, Italy
URL:http://cosy.ted.unipi.gr/conferences/WS_HCI_DP_Interact_2005/

Workshop Aim
The history of patterns and their proliferation is well known and
broadly documented. It all began in the field of building architecture,
when Christopher Alexander invented the idea of capturing design
guidelines in the form of design patterns. The last years, we have
witnessed efforts in creating repositories of design patterns in
specific domains. The aim of this workshop is to bring together R&D
groups that believe in the potential of sharing and reuse of design
experience in HCI, and want to contribute to the discovery, discussion,
validation, and dissemination of useful solutions for recurrent
interaction design problems via design patterns.
During this workshop, we will address the issue of HCI design patterns
from a specific perspective. More specifically, we will:

     * concentrate on the very early stage of HCI design - the one
traditionally happening just after user requirements elicitation. The
HCI patterns we want to discuss should help developers "filling the
bridge from requirements to design".
     * adopt a strongly user centered approach, thinking of HCI patterns
can as mappings from the user requirements "problem space" (user
characteristics, needs, goals, motivations, situations of use, ...) to
the interaction design "solution space".
     * analyse both HCI patterns having a domain independent scope and
patterns that are useful in specific domains, such as e-learning,
e-commerce, e-culture, on-line communities, groupware, etc., or for
specific devices; we will investigate whether and how a design pattern
from a specific "context" can be re-used in another context;
     * try to identify some sound theoretical foundations for HCI design
patterns, by looking at the research in related disciplines that attempt
to understand users and find usable solutions to their needs, e.g.,
psychology, cognitive science, linguistics, or communication sciences;
we will investigate whether and how known "patterns" in human behaviors,
as well as cognitive principles and guidelines of HCI, can be
interpreted and formulated in terms of interaction design patterns.

Topics

To participate, submit papers with theoretical and practical ideas of
how to how to detect, apply, share, and re-use patterns and what benefit
do we have from this. We need to investigate whether HCI design patterns
can be utilised in a user-centred development process of interactive
applications in various domains such as e-learning, e-culture,
e-commerce, etc.

Papers should address the following relevant topics:
* User centered design methods using interaction design patterns
* methods for discovery of interaction design patterns
* case studies or experiences from the use of interaction design
patterns as a design vehicle
* cognitive foundations for interaction design patterns
* interaction design patterns for specific user needs and "contexts"
(i.e., devices or situations of use)

All submissions will be reviewed by members of the international program
committee in order to decide on acceptance.

Important Dates

* Submission Deadline: June 6, 2005.
    o Papers should be submitted to [log in to unmask]
    o Papers should be maximum 4 pages long and formatted according to
LNCS format (templates can be found at Springer-Verlag LNCS Authors'
Instructions page:
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-164-2-72376-0,
00.html ).
* Notification of acceptance: June 20, 2005
* Final versions due: June 30, 2005

Organisers
* F. Garzotto, HOC - Hypermedia Open Center, Department of Electronics
and Information
* Politecnico di Milano
* Stephan Lukosch, FernUniversitaet in Hagen, Germany
* S. Retalis, University of Piraeus, Department of Technology Education
and Digital Systems
* Till Schuemmer, FernUniversitaet in Hagen, Germany
* Uwe Zdun, Dept. of Information Systems, Vienna Univ. of Economics

Programme Committee
* Daniel Schwabe, PUC-Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) * Gustavo Rossi, La Plata
University (Argentina) * Nikos Avouris, University of Patras (Greece) *
Davide Bolchini, USI-University of Italian (Switzerland) * Yiannis
Dimitriadis, University of Valladolid (Spain) * Anthony Faiola, Indiana
University (USA) * Anthony Finkelstein, University College London, (UK)
* Peter Goodyear, Technical University of Sydney, (Australia) * Effie
Law, ETH Zurich (Switzerland) * Slavko Milekic, University of the Arts -
Philadelphia (USA) * Paolo Paolini - Politecnico di Milano (Italy) *
Ebba Thora Hvannberg, University of Iceland, (Iceland) * Aimilia
Tzanavari, University of Cyprus, (Cyprus) * Andreas Papasalouros,
National Technical University of Athens, (Greece)