Sender: "ACM SIGCHI General Interest Announcements (Mailing List)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Dejin Zhao <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 01:20:15 -0500
*UPDATED: Submission deadline is extended to midnight PST on January 13th,
2010.*

MICROBLOGGING: WHAT AND HOW CAN WE LEARN FROM IT?
CHI 2010 Workshop
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Saturday, April 11, 2010

Workshop Site: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~julia/chi2010.html<http://www.cs.unc.edu/%7Ejulia/chi2010.html>

ORGANIZERS
Julia Grace, IBM Research, Almaden
Dejin Zhao, Penn State University, University Park
danah boyd, Microsoft Research, New England

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION
Communication via short, real-time message broadcast, also known as
microblogging, is relatively a new communication channel for people to share
information. We use microblogging as an umbrella term to include status
updates from social networks such as Facebook, and message-exchange services
such as Twitter. Recent research has shown that people employ these services
to share informal information they would likely not otherwise publish
through other mediums (i.e., email, phone, IM, or weblogs).
Microblogginghas become quite popular quickly, catching researchers’
interests as both a
means of public, social information exchange, and a medium for collaboration
and communication in the work context.
 The goal of this workshop is to provide a forum for researchers and
practitioners from academia and industry to exchange insights into how
microblogs are used in enterprises, academic and social settings, developing
an agenda for what and how we can learn from and better study this
phenomenon.

CALL FOR POSITION PAPERS
Submission deadline: January 6, 2010

Participants are asked to submit a 2-4 page position paper in ACM
CHIExtended Abstract Format. We encourage submissions of
microblogging research work in both social context and work settings.
Position papers should address specific research questions of authors' work,
methodological approaches, contributions to the area, important
conversations to have for now, and short biographies for each author. At
least one author of each accepted paper needs to register for the
workshopand for one or more days of the conference itself.

Please email submissions to [log in to unmask] using the
subject "CHI 2010 Microblogging Workshop Submission". Submissions are due at
midnight PST Jan 6, 2010. We will notify all participants of acceptance or
rejection on Jan 30th, 2010.