Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:03:21 +0900
Sender:
From:
Yu ENOKIBORI <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the deadline extension of
Call for Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 PDR Challenge.

Please kindly forward this email to interested colleagues,
researchers, and scholars.

[ unsubscribe ]
Please send a mail from the address which have to be removed
to [log in to unmask] .
(Empty e-mail is OK)

Regards,

Registration deadline of Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 PDR Challenge is extended.
New deadline is 2015/08/10.

Also, we set up a facebook group for supporting participants
 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ubicomp2015PDR/).

Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 PDR Challenge Call for Participation
http://ubicomp.org/ubicomp2015/challenge.html

Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 provide a opportunity to make "technical challenge"
at the conference site. This year, we decided to have a "PDR Challenge"
to promote this technology.

PDR (Pedestrian Dead-Reckoning) can be considerd as a promising approach
of the indoor location estimation. Using the acceleration/gyro sensor,
built in the mobile terminal, PDR estimates the relative movement. It is
not possible to know the absolute location by the PDR alone, but by
combining with other location estimation methods, it has the potential
to track the absolute location. By using specialized wearable devices,
various kinds of PDR-enabled products have been proposed.

However, for the current smart phones, it is not well-known about the
PDR methods or algorithms with high precision and stability. Moreover,
no evaluation method has been established for PDRs from various aspects.

At the opportunity of Ubicomp/ISWC 2015, we decided to make
"PDR Challenge". Three categories have been prepared for the participants
of this Challenge-- Algorithm, Evaluation Methods , and Exhibition.

The participants of Algorithm Category will compete in PDR algorithm.
Evaluation criteria of the proposed algorithms are not limited to position
estimation accuracy, but including latency and power conservation.
The participants of Evaluation Methods Cagetory will compete in the
evaluation method of PDR. The participants of Exhibition demonstrate
any kind of methods/products which utilize PDR but not limited.
So any methods/products that have integration with the absolute location
estimation methods and "map matching", using WiFi, etc.

Additionally, we will collect "Walking sensing corpus" for further development
of PDR. We will publish the corpus in a year. However, participants and sponsors
will be able to use this corpus of data before publication.

We are intend to make this Challenge as an "open challenge" and by engaging with
all the participants in discussion. If you have any experimental plan
or idea for
the challenge, please contact us.

Participation Method

Please fill the following information and send email.

Group/Individual Name:
Representative Name:
Affiliation:
E-mail:
Category:(PDR Algorithm Category/PDR Evaluation Method
Category/Exhibition Category)

Deadline:2015/8/10 (extended!)
Destination Address: Katsuhiko Kaji([log in to unmask])

Additionally, participant should make registration of
Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 Workshop Registration – Single Day or Two Days.

Awarding ceremony is held at closing session of Ubicomp/ISWC.
If you want to participate to the awarding ceremony,
you should make another registration of
Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 Main Conference – Single Day Passes or
Full Registration(3days).
http://ubicomp.org/ubicomp2015/registration.html

We can provide detail information about Android skeleton even before
registration.
Please feel free to contact us  ([log in to unmask]).

Also, we have a facebook group for supporting participants
 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ubicomp2015PDR/).

PDR Algorithm Category (total prize:50,000 yen~)

Carrying SmartPhones, subjects(from UbiComp/ISWC participants) will
walk in the building, the Grand Front Osaka, which is the Ubicomp/ISWC
venue. Using the sensors that have been built in the SmartPhones,
you will carry out PDR.

Their results will be evaluated in the competition, based on the precision
of positioning. Additionally, we will evaluate their results based on
the robustness and power conservation, etc. as sponsored awards.

Detailed information:
Device: Android smartphone with following sensors(App Skelton will be provided).
Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, magnetic, air pressure
Device Position: in hand
Subjects: Student volunteers and participants of UbiComp/ISWC2015
Venue: Grand Front Osaka (around Workshop area)
Ground truth: Map with location(x,y) and time will provided.

We plan to provide Android app skelton for PDR challenge.
The skelton has various useful function such as sensor data acquision,
trajectory visualization, and so on. Therefore participant can concentrate
on PDR algorithm.

Schedule
July mid.: Android app skelton and sample data is provided.
8/21(extended!): Deadline of abstract submission (as 1-2 pages slide).
9/4(extended!): Deadline of algorithm submission (as JAR file).
9/7 PM - 9/8: Data correction and demonstration at Ubicomp/ISWC workshop venue.
9/11: Awarding ceremony at closing session of Ubicomp/ISWC.

PDR Evaluation Method Category

We will have the participants of this category to give presentations
at the workshop day(Sep. 7th) by bringing with them their evaluation methods.
The evaluation items are not limited to the position estimation accuracy.
We are looking for the evaluation methods that have integrated multiple items,
such as latency and power conservation, etc., as well as the evaluation methods,
based on completely new criteria, etc.

We will determine which evaluation method is the superior one, based on the
votes of the Challenge Executive Committee and the participants of the workshop.

Schedule
8/21: Deadline of abstract submission (as 1-2 pages slide).
9/7 AM: Presentation at PDR Challenge Workshop
9/11: Awarding ceremony at closing session of Ubicomp/ISWC.

Exhibition Category
Exhibition Category is looking for any position estimation methods/products
which are not limited to PDR. They include the methods that integrated
the absolute position estimation methods, using WiFi and iBeacon, etc.,
as well as the methods that adopted "map matching", etc.
Due to the wide variety of the evaluation criteria, Exhibition participants
will not be eligible for awards, but they will be able to demonstrate their
position estimation methods.

If you want to perform such as environmental survey in advance, please let
us know.

Schedule
8/10: Deadline of abstract submission (as 1 pages slide).
9/7 PM, 9/8: Demonstration at Ubicomp/ISWC workshop venue.

PDR Challenge Committee
Lead Plannner:
Nobuo Kawaguchi (Nagoya University / Lisra)

Managing Chair:
Katsuhiko Kaji (Aichi Institute of Technology)

Committee Members:
Nobuhiko Nishio (Ritsumeikan University)
Kaori Fujinami  (Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology)
Daniel Roggen (University of Sussex)
Sozo Inoue (Kyushu Institute of Technology)
Susanna Pirttikangas (University of Oulu)
Hisakazu Hada (Tokyo University of Technology)
Kazuya Murao (Kobe University)
Kei Hiroi (Nagoya University)
Ren Ohmura (Toyohashi University of Technology)
Shigeyuki Miyagi (The University of Shiga Prefecture)
Takeshi Kurata (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology:AIST)
Yasuyuki Sumi (Future University Hakodate)
Yu Enokibori (Nagoya University)

Supported Community / Workshop
IPSJ SIG UBI (Informatino Processing Society Japan, Special Interest
Groups on Ubiquitous Computing Systems)
Lisra (Location Information Service Research Agency)
PDR Benchmark Standardization Committee
HASC (Human Activity Sensing Consortuim)