From:
Ben Shneiderman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Shneiderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 11:44:33 -0400
VISUALIZING PERSONAL HISTORIES: A WORKSHOP
   July 21-22, 1997, Monday-Tuesday

Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory
   University of Maryland
   College Park, MD

OVERVIEW: Personal history records are central to decision-making
in medicine, hiring, personnel reviews, life insurance, and
educational admissions.  These records are increasingly computerized
but on-screen presentations are often more difficult to traverse
than paper records.  Visual overviews may enable dramatic
improvements in decision-making, much as graphical user interfaces
have contributed to desktop publishing, directory browsing, and air
traffic control.

We believe that visual presentations of personal histories and
biographies offer new research challenges in:

  - temporal visualization and graphical presentation
  - information coding by color, size, position, etc.
  - user interface controls
  - overview+detail view or focus+context design
  - temporal search and browsing
  - data structures and algorithms
  - importing and exporting of data
  - integration of image, audio, and video data
  - privacy protection and data validation

DETAILS: The University of Maryland Human-Computer Interaction
Laboratory (HCIL) has been working on this topic:

  http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/hcil/Research/1997/patientrecord.html

and therefore we are organizing a workshop with a maximum of 20
researchers and advanced developers to present their work and discuss
future directions.  We invite potential participants to send an email
application letter describing their work and offering a title and
abstract of the talk they would like to present.  We hope letters
could be sent to our secretary Janet Sumida ([log in to unmask])
by June 6 so acceptances could be returned by June 13.

There would be no charge to participants.  Refreshments (coffee
and fresh pastries in the morning, and fresh fruit with frozen
yogurt in the afternoon), lunches (Chinese and Italian food),
and copying of handouts will be paid for by HCIL.  The workshop
will be held 9am to 5pm at the HCIL facilities in the A. V.
Williams Building on the College Park campus, thereby enabling
demonstrations on various computing platforms.

Check our website for information as the program emerges:
   http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/hcil/vph.htm

Participants will be responsible for their travel and housing.
The campus is just northeast of Washington, DC (taxi or Metro ride
from National or Dulles Airports) and 25 miles south of Baltimore-
Washington Airport.  We are close to Amtrak's Washington, DC and
New Carrollton, MD stations.

A block of rooms has been reserved at the Center of Adult
Education, located on campus.  Travel and housing information
will be provided to attendees.

Workshop Organizers:
  Ben Shneiderman, [log in to unmask]
  Catherine Plaisant, [log in to unmask]
  Anne Rose, [log in to unmask]

Invited Attendees:
  John Karat, IBM Research
  Howard Wainer, Educational Testing Service
  Seth Powsner, Yale University
  Ben Bederson, University of New Mexico