From:
Marc Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Busch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:48:32 +0000
*** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION ***
*** EXTENDED DEADLINE ***

*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

“Touch me” – Workshop on Tactile User Experience Evaluation Methods

One-day workshop at CHI 2014, April 26th (Saturday) in Toronto, Canada

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 17th 2014 (previously January 10th 2014), via E-Mail to [log in to unmask]

SUBMISSION FORMAT: 2-4 page position papers, formatted according to ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Publications Format (not anonymized)

NOTIFICATION: February 1st , 2014

INFORMATION & NEWS: http://tactile-ux-evaluation.cure.at/

*** TOPIC ***

There are various methods for evaluating the User Experience (UX) when interacting with systems, e.g. questionnaires, interviews and physiological measures. Most of these methods only rely on visual or verbal stimuli, do not capture UX in a holistic way or are too invasive (e.g. physiological measures, questionnaires) and therefore interrupt the experiences of users. This workshop focuses on the enhancement of purely visual, physiological or verbally based UX evaluation methods with tactile perception. In this workshop we want to discuss and explore ideas, challenges and possibilities for tactile UX evaluation methods that enable users to self-report their UX by choosing one from a range of physical objects that vary in shape and material. Being non-verbal and not dependent on visual stimuli, these methods include many user groups (e.g. blind users, illiterates or children). And beyond those contexts, they might capture aspects of experience which are harder to articulate in words.

*** AUDIENCE, SUBMISSION & DATES ***

The workshop welcomes participation from interested researchers & practioners in the field of UX assessment. Particular we like to welcome people interested in innovations in UX assessment. Workshop papers should be submitted by January 17th 2014 via E-Mail to [log in to unmask] We solicit 2-4 page position papers, formatted according to ACM SIGCHI Extended Abstracts Publications Format (not anonymized). Authors will be notified on acceptance of the position papers on February 1st, 2014. Topics of position papers comprise, but are not limited to:

•         Limitations of classical UX assessment methods and the need to go beyond verbal or visual stimuli to assess UX
•         Ideas and proposals for novel tactile UX assessment methods
•         Possible application areas for tactile UX assessment methods
•         Limitations and challenges related to tactile UX assessment methods
•         Theoretical or empirical studies for the validity of UX assessment methods

*** THE WORKSHOP ***
The one-day workshop will be at CHI 2014, April 26th (Saturday) in Toronto, Canada. In “hands-on” sessions, we discuss and prototype tactile evaluation methods for UX during the workshop. One author of each submission must attend the workshop and register for the workshop and for at least one day of the conference. Before the workshop, all position papers will be made available to all participants. After the workshop, we will stimulate further activities (e.g. joint publication) to establish an active network for researchers & practitioners in the field of UX assessment.

*** FURTHER INFORMATION ***

Please find further information on the subject and the workshop on http://tactile-ux-evaluation.cure.at or send an E-Mail to [log in to unmask]

*** ORGANIZERS ***

Manfred Tscheligi - University of Salzburg – ICT&S Center

Katherine Isbister – New York University

Kristina Höök – KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Marianna Obrist – University of Sussex –School of Engineering & Informatics

Marc Busch – CURE – Center for Usability Research & Engineering

Christina Hochleitner – CURE – Center for Usability Research & Engineering

See you at CHI 2014 in Toronto!