From:
Paula Goodale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Goodale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:45:49 +0100
Final Call for Papers

Workshop on Accessing Cultural Heritage at Scale (ACHS)
Newark, NJ, 22-23 June, 2016 (in association with JCDL)

http://achs.group.shef.ac.uk/

***Deadline: 2nd May, 2016***

BREAKING NEWS: Successful authors will be invited to submit an extended
version of their
paper to a forthcoming special issue of the International Journal on
Digital Libraries (IJDL)

==Aims==
Accessing Cultural Heritage at Scale is a workshop collocated at the JCDL
2016 conference, to be held in Newark, NJ, USA. The workshop will take
place over two half days on 22-23 June 2016.

Our focus is on challenges and opportunities, current and emerging
developments in the area of information access via exploration and
discovery in large-scale digital libraries and collections, particularly in
the cultural heritage domain. We will consider the underlying technologies
which enable this access, as well as interaction functionalities, and user
evaluations. Our goal is to identify the needs of providers and their
users, assess the current state-of-the-art, and to identify challenges and
prioritize areas of future research potential.

==Topics==
The workshop is focused on all aspects of supporting access, exploration
and discovery within large-scale digital libraries, especially within
cultural heritage. This fits with the JCDL conference theme of 'Big
Libraries, Big Data, Big Innovation' to include information access issues
and solutions in cultural heritage that focus on volume, variety and
velocity of library content, and also variety (complexity, diversity) of
users and uses. Specifically, we invite contributions on related topics
including (but not limited to):

* Information discovery, exploration and serendipity
* User-centered information access and evaluation
* Multimedia, multilingual and exploratory Information Retrieval
* Information needs and information behaviour
* Information organization, ontologies
* Entity-centric information access
* Information extraction, content enrichment, text analytics, natural
language processing
* Entity-extraction and disambiguation
* Metadata and linked data
* Visualization of information space
* User modelling and adaptation
* Personalization and recommendation

Contributions may include findings from completed empirical studies or
work-in-progress, as well as position papers inviting discussions of
emerging and future developments.

==Submissions==
Authors are invited to submit original, unpublished academic research,
industry papers and position papers related to the topics listed above. We
invite papers in 3 formats:

* full papers (8 pages)
* short papers (4 pages)
* posters (2 pages)

Full papers will report on completed work, or work that has reached a level
of maturity or important milestone. Short papers and posters will report on
work-in-progress, or work that can be presented in a more concise form.
Position papers are welcome in either full or short paper format.

Full and short papers will be presented in the main the workshop track, and
posters will be presented in a dedicated session. All paper types are
welcome from both academics and practitioners. Accepted papers will be
published in the workshop proceedings. Proceedings will be published
immediately prior to the workshop via CEUR Workshop Proceedings.

All papers should be written in English, prepared anonymously in the ACM
Proceedings  template, and submitted in PDF format, via the workshop
EasyChair submission page: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=achs20160
.

==Important dates==

* Paper submissions - 2 May 2016
* Notifications - 16 May 2016
* Camera-ready copy - 31 May 2016
* Proceedings published - 7 June 2016
* Workshop (at JCDL) - 22-23 June 2016 (2x half days)

==Organising Committee==

* Paul Clough (University of Sheffield, UK)
* Paula Goodale (University of Sheffield, UK)
* Maristella Agosti (University of Padua, Italy)
* Séamus Lawless (Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland)

==Contact==

Enquiries should be made via:
Paula Goodale p dot goodale at sheffield.ac.uk

--
Paula Goodale
Teaching Associate

Please note: My working pattern for Jan-June 2016 is usually Monday,
Thursday, Friday

Information School, The University of Sheffield, Room 318, Regent Court,
211 Portobello, Sheffield, S1 4DP

@PaulaGoodale <https://twitter.com/PaulaGoodale>
www.sheffield.ac.uk/is

Keep it green: do you need to print this email?
Visiting the university? Try to travel sustainably:
www.sheffield.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel