From:
Albrecht Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Albrecht Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:46:19 +0000
IEEE Computer will have a special issue on

*** Interaction beyond the Keyboard ***

and till Nov 1st 2011 you still have a chance to submit

IEEE Computer seeks submissions for an April 2012 special issue on
interaction beyond the keyboard.

Interaction with computers has become an integral part of daily life for
 most people. When making a phone call, listening to music, taking a
photo, getting money from an ATM, or driving a car, we operate computer
systems with complex functionalities. As technologies progress, the
proliferation of computing technologies increases, and simple user
interfaces and ease of use are becoming key success factors for a wide
range of products.

Although the keyboard and mouse are still the dominant user interfaces
in home and office environments, with the massive increase in mobile
device usage and the many new interaction technologies available, the
way we interact with computers is becoming richer and more diverse.
Touch-enabled surfaces, natural gestures, implicit interaction, and
tangible user interfaces mark some of these trends.

The overall goal of interaction beyond the keyboard is to create natural
 and intuitive forms of human-computer interaction that make it easier
for people to achieve their goals while using computers as tools.

For this special issue, we seek original research that describes
groundbreaking new devices, methods, and approaches to human-computer
interaction in a world of ubiquitous computer use. In particular, we're
looking for exciting work that is concerned with the following topics:

* interactive surfaces and tabletop computing;
* mobile computing user interfaces and interaction while on the go;
* tangible interaction and graspable user interfaces;
* embedded user interfaces and embodied interaction;
* natural interaction and gestures; and
* user interfaces based on physiological sensors and actuators.

Articles should be understandable to a broad audience of computing
science and engineering professionals. The writing should be practical
and original, avoiding a focus on theory, mathematics, jargon, and
abstract concepts. All manuscripts are subject to peer-review on both
technical merit and relevance to Computer's readership. Accepted papers
will be professionally edited for content and style.

Final submissions due: 1 November 2011
Publication date: April 2012

For more information please visit
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/cocfp4