From:
Michael Rohs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Rohs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 13:40:57 +0200
(We apologize for possible multiple copies.)

             Mobile Vision (MobiVis 2012)
        Vision-based Applications and HCI
           Workshop at MobileHCI 2012
          http://mobivis.labs-exit.de
     San Francisco, USA, September 21, 2012

DATES

Paper submission: ***May 28 (23:59 PST)***, 2012
Author notification: July 1, 2012
Camera-ready version: August 1, 2012
Workshop: September 21, 2012

WEB PAGE AND CONTACT

   http://mobivis.labs-exit.de

OVERVIEW

The capabilities of smartphones and other mobile/hand-held devices are increasingly being exploited to bring vision-based mobile applications to the user. Applications such as visual search and image retrieval, face recognition, augmented reality, marker-based tagging, gesture recognition, and video data streaming are altering the way we interact with the world around us in a mobile context.

This workshop aims to address the fundamental vision-based technologies that enable new interaction modalities and metaphors. We also would like to encourage the exploration of new radical or experimental interactions as well as new design concepts and application scenarios. Our aim is to promote a cross-disciplinary discussion between computer vision researchers, HCI researchers, interaction designers, and practitioners of either field. The aim is to highlight and elaborate the potential of computer vision as an enabling technology for new forms of mobile interaction, applications and implications for user experience and design.

SCOPE

Relevant topics include but are not limited to:
- Real-time tracking, pose estimation and SLAM on mobile devices.
- Local image features for fast image recognition, matching, etc.
- Mobile Augmented Reality linking the physical and the virtual world
- Application scenarios for camera-based applications, e.g., pedestrian navigation,
  entertainment, learning and education, social networks, journalism, field work
- Toolkits and methods for prototyping vision-based mobile applications
- Models and frameworks for evaluating vision-based mobile interaction
- Artistic and creative approaches to designing vision-based mobile applications
- Computational photography on mobile devices
- Privacy aspects of camera-based mobile applications

SUBMISSION

Paper submissions should have a length of 4 pages and can be novel research findings, position papers, or case studies, addressing one or more of the topics mentioned above. Papers should be submitted via EasyChair:

 https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=mobivis2012

The review process is "DOUBLE BLIND" meaning the authors take responsibility to ensure that their identity as authors is hidden during submission and review stages. Each paper submission will be reviewed by at least 2 members of the Program Committee. Participants will be selected on the basis of their submissions. Papers should be formatted according to the standard HCI Archive format:  www.mobilehci2011.org/sites/default/files/MobileHCI2011archivalformat_final_acmcopyright.doc
(the copyright notice should be removed).

At least one author of accepted papers needs to register for the workshop and for the conference itself. We will make accepted contributions available on the workshop home page.

We encourage the participants to bring and show prototypes of their recent work.

KEYNOTE

We are excited to announce that our Keynote speaker at MOBIVIS 2012 will be Prof. Bernd Girod, Professor of Electrical Engineering and (by courtesy) Computer Science at Stanford University, California. He has published over 450 conference and journal papers, as well as 5 books, receiving the EURASIP Signal Processing Best Paper Award in 2002, the IEEE Multimedia Communication Best Paper Award in 2007, the EURASIP Image Communication Best Paper Award in 2008, the EURASIP Signal Processing Most Cited Paper Award in 2008, as well as the EURASIP Technical Achievement Award in 2004 and the Technical Achievement Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society in 2011. Prof. Girod is a Fellow of the IEEE, a EURASIP Fellow, and a member of the German National Academy of Sciences (Leopoldina). His current research interests are in the areas of video compression, networked media systems, and image-based retrieval and mobile augmented reality.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Christian Bauckhage (Fraunhofer IAIS and University of Bonn, Germany)
Dominikus Baur (University of Calgary, Canada)
Mark Billinghurst (University of Canterbury, New Zealand)
Sebastian Boring (University of Calgary, Canada)
Cedric Cagniart (Weta Digital, New Zealand)
Georg Essl (University of Michgan, USA)
Simone Gasparini (GIPSA Lab, Grenoble, France)
Raphael Grasset (Graz University of Technology, Austria)
Sean Gustafson (Hasso Plattner Institute, Germany)
Alejandro Jaimes (Yahoo Research, USA)
Martin Kaltenbrunner (Kunstuniversität Linz, Austria)
Sven Kratz (University of Munich, Germany)
Jörg Müller (Telekom Innovation Labs, TU Berlin, Germany)
Alex Olwal (MIT Media Lab, USA)
Tomas Pajdla (CMP, Czech Republic)
Yong Deuk Seo (Sogang University, South Korea)
Peter Sturm (INRIA Grenoble, France)
Daniel Wagner (Qualcomm Research Vienna, Austria)

ORGANIZERS

Rahul Swaminathan, Telekom Innovation Labs, Berlin, Germany
Michael Rohs, University of Munich, Germany
Jussi Ängeslevä, Universität der Künste Berlin & ART+COM, Berlin, Germany

http://mobivis.labs-exit.de