From:
"Jennifer A. Rode" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer A. Rode
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 09:15:06 +0100
ECSCW 09 Workshop: Considering Gender in ECSCW
Location: ECSCW 2009 in Vienna
Date: 8 September 2009
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jen/GenderWorkshop.html

Workshop overview:
	In light of an increasing interest in gender and technology, there is
a need to discuss how these relate to CSCW. By organizing this one day
workshop we hope to encourage CSCW research in this area and promote
better design that takes into account gender differences.
	This workshop looks at the roll of gender within ECSCW. This workshop
will discuss a number of approaches to gender and technology, some
which are known to the existing ECSCW community interested in gender,
as well as, some new approaches. We will discuss the implications of
Liberal Feminism, Gender Positionality, and Lived Body Experience,
amongst other theoretical approaches to gender. This workshop will
provide a forum for discussing both gender as it is currently
formulated within the ECSCW literature, as well as, new aspects of
gender theory that might be pulled from the gender studies, and
feminist science and technology studies community to strengthen
ECSCWís treatment of gender.

Issues of discussion during the workshop includes:
-Understanding the current literature within ECSCW on gender and
related theory, including the ethnomethodological perspective.
-Discus perspectives on gender found in the larger HCI community
including Liberal Feminism and experimental studies of gender.
-Bring in new perspectives of gender from outside ECSCW from the
Gender Studies and the Feminist Science and Technologies Studies
community, these include but are not limited to:
   *Alcoff's Gender Positionality (1988)
    *Cockburnís notion of Technology as Masculine Culture (1992)
    *Young's Lived Body Experience (2005)
    *Haraway's Cyborg Feminsm (2007)
-Others as brought forward by attendees, this is encouraged!
-Pulling these theories together and discussing how ECSCW should treat
gender going forward.

Who should submit and attend:
	This full-day workshop will be of interest to researchers whose
interest lie in gender and technology from both inside and outside the
larger CSCW community. Participation in the workshop requires the
submission of a short position paper, however speculative papers from
young researchers, or those who have not previously considered how
gender could apply to their work are encouraged!
	Because we want participants who are interested in gender, but might
not have had a lot of opportunity to formalize their views we will not
be making everyone present their position papers.  Instead, we will be
asking a subset of attendees to present brief presentations on
different theoretical frameworks on gender.  In doing so we hope to
establish common ground, and allow participants with a range of
backgrounds to participate.
	Each position paper should address the topic of gender and technology
and how it should apply to CSCW.
	The workshop will be open to a maximum of 20 participants.

Dissemination:
	Position papers and workshop outputs will be made available on the
website. The primary goal of this workshop is to promote conversation
on gender vis-ŗ-vis CSCW and to build a community that critically
reflects on these issues in light of relevant theory. In doing so the
hope is that we can then encourage a body of research that soberly
reflects on gender and its role in design. Ideally, a special issue
surrounding gender comparing and contrasting these varied perspectives
would be a fruitful starting point.

Submissions:
	To participate please send a 2-4 page position paper to the
organizers ([log in to unmask]) by the 27th June 2009.
Acceptance notifications will be sent by 6th July 2009. Papers should
be in the ECSCW format: http://www.ecscw09.org/author.html

Organizers:
*Dr. Jennifer A. Rode, University College London, Interaction Center
*Professor Susanne BÝdker, Aarhus University, Computer Science