From:
Madeline Balaam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Madeline Balaam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:44:48 +0000
Call for Participation: CHI 2013 Workshop on Motherhood and HCI
Important Dates
18 January 2013: Workshop Submission Deadline
8 February 2013: Notification of Acceptance
27 April 2013: Workshop held in Paris, France
Website: http://motherhoodandhci.wordpress.com/
***********************************
Becoming a mother and the experience of being a mother are increasingly influenced, mediated and invaded by technology and digital interactions. We invite the CHI community to grow and nurture the emerging topic of motherhood and HCI and explore how the lens of “motherhood” changes implications for design, development, and notions of care through participation in the CHI 2013 workshop “Motherhood and HCI” (http://motherhoodandhci.wordpress.com/). This one-day workshop will address research and design issues relating to technology use associated with the processes and experiences of conception, pregnancy and infertility, labour, childcare and the mother’s work in the family and home. Topics include (but are not limited to) the experience of motherhood, technologies for supporting mothers, and perspectives on the role of the mother, as well as everyday practices relating to technology and motherhood.
We invite non-mothers,mothers and mothers-to-be to participate in our workshop through the submission of a 2-page position paper in CHI Extended Abstracts format that describes the authors experience engaging with a specific theme, or challenge involved with designing, using, or evaluating technologies that relate to the concept or experience of “motherhood”. We positively encourage submissions from a diverse range of participants, perspectives and disciplines. We also encourage active participation from industries already engaged in the design and development of technologies for motherhood. Submissions will be selected based on their originality, quality and ability to promote discussion amongst the community.
Submissions and questions should be directed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. More details can be found at: http://motherhoodandhci.wordpress.com/. At least one author of each accepted paper must attend the workshop. Please submit your position paper by Friday 18th January 2013.
Workshop Organisers
Madeline Balaam, Newcastle University
Judy Robertson, Heriot-Watt University
Rebecca Say, Newcastle University
Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Vienna University of Technology
Gillian Hayes, UC Irvine
Melissa Mazmanian, UC Irvine
Belinda Parmar, ladygeek.com