From:
Jack Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2015 15:05:44 +0000
Colleagues

I am looking for 1-2 graduate students. My group is highly interdisciplinary. I have current NSF projects in smart and connected health (using social media to regulate the co-production of healthy activities), mobile/context aware time banking (joint with CMU and PARC), municipal deliberation and political engagement, activity awareness in information analysis, and I am coPI of Penn State's NSF Computing Expedition (smart camera prosthetics for visually impaired).  I also have on-going or startup (not externally funded) efforts in collaborative learning in MOOCs (and elsewhere), intergenerational health collaboration, crowd work, data analytic support for collaboration, and assorted topics in community innovation. I have projects in family Internet privacy and sustainable software that are winding down but might be revived.

I am part of the College of Information Sciences and Technology at Penn State University https://ist.psu.edu, an i-school, which offers PhD and MS programs, and has significant strengths that my group leverages in HCI/HCD, data analytics and network science, privacy/security, and community/social informatics. Penn State is located in State College, PA, a college town with extremely high quality of life (low crime rate, high arts events per capita, miles of bike paths and hiking trails, fresh foods, clean water).

My recent students have taken faculty positions at Indiana University, University of Central Florida, Sun Yat-sen University, Penn State, University of Western Ontario, and University of Yamanashi, research/industry positions at Google, Microsoft, PARC, Facebook, Oracle, Informatica, Dell, Penn State, and Dartmouth, and Pacific Northwest National Labs,

Please contact me for further info.

Webpage http://jcarroll.ist.psu.edu
Group web page https://hci.ist.psu.edu
To apply https://ist.psu.edu/application/grad