From:
Melanie Tory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melanie Tory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 04:12:36 -0700
IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications
Special Issue on Personal Visualization and Personal Visual Analytics (July/Aug 2015)
Guest Editors: Sheelagh Carpendale and Melanie Tory
The July/August 2015 issue of IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications will be devoted to Personal Visualization and Personal Visual Analytics. For this special issue, we solicit papers describing visualization and visual analytics applications designed for use in a personal context, plus discussions of fundamental issues important to the design, development, and success of Personal Visualization & Personal Visual Analytics tools.

For each and every one of us as individuals, "big data" impinges on our personal lives as well as our professional lives. This includes our social networks, our expanding photo collections, and our intentions to become more green. Application of Visualization and Visual Analytics research to our personal context offers substantial opportunity to help individuals gain insight and knowledge about themselves and their communities, ranging from health and fitness information, to music listening histories, to records of their interactions with others through social media. However, designing tools to support the analysis of data in one’s non-professional life brings a unique set of research and design challenges.

Personal Visualization (PV) involves the design of interactive visual data representations for use in a personal context. Personal Visual Analytics (PVA) is the science of analytical reasoning facilitated by visual representations used within a personal context. Personal context implies a non-professional situation, where people may have different goals, priorities, role expectations, environments, or time and resource budgets than in professional aspects of their lives. PV & PVA aim to empower individuals in their everyday lives to develop insights and discover knowledge relevant to their personal lives.

We welcome papers on a variety of topics, including:
- fundamental issues important to the design of PV & PVA systems (including design issues for home and mobile use contexts, design for visualization and analytics novices, design for low-attentional demand, and so on);
- real-world experiences with designing, building, deploying and evaluating personal visualization and visual analytic systems;
- case studies describing success (and failure) of applying visualization and visual analytics in a personal context; and
- review and evaluation papers discussing or comparing current tools, techniques, and design considerations.

We welcome papers from both commercial and academic sources; from researchers as well as practitioners.

For details and submission guidelines, see
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/computingnow/cgacfp4
Full papers due Nov. 1, 2014.

Apologies for cross-postings.

Spam detection software, running on the system "valdes.csc.uvic.ca", has identified this incoming email as possible spam. The original message has been attached to this so you can view it (if it isn't spam) or label similar future email. If you have any questions, see the administrator of that system for details. Content preview: IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications Special Issue on Personal    Visualization and Personal Visual Analytics (July/Aug 2015) Guest Editors:    Sheelagh Carpendale and Melanie Tory The July/August 2015 issue of IEEE Computer    Graphics and Applications will be devoted to Personal Visualization and Personal    Visual Analytics. For this special issue, we solicit papers describing visualization    and visual analytics applications designed for use in a personal context,    plus discussions of fundamental issues important to the design, development,    and success of Personal Visualization & Personal Visual Analytics tools.   [...] Content analysis details: (8.2 points, 5.0 required)  pts rule name description ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------  2.5 FH_HELO_EQ_D_D_D_D Helo is d-d-d-d  4.4 HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP addr                             1)  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message  1.5 RDNS_DYNAMIC Delivered to trusted network by host with                             dynamic-looking rDNS -0.2 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list     ---------------------------------------------------------------     For news of CHI books, courses & software, join CHI-RESOURCES      mailto: [log in to unmask]     To unsubscribe from CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS send an email to      mailto:[log in to unmask]     For further details of CHI lists see http://listserv.acm.org     ---------------------------------------------------------------