From:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2019 19:51:45 -0500
Call for Proposals
CHInclusion: Working toward a more inclusive HCI community
CHI 2019 workshop W27
UPDATED DEADLINE: 22 February 2019

We would like to invite you to take part in a one-day workshop to be held
on May 5th at CHI2019. With this workshop, we proactively take part in
building a more inclusive CHI community. We do this in a highly interactive
one-day workshop where we will first reflect on current privilege,
marginalisation, and inclusion in our community, and then develop
actionable ideas on how to improve inclusion at CHI2019 and future HCI
events.

We welcome submissions from anyone who is concerned about inclusion at CHI
and HCI more widely, and who would like to play a part in building a better
future for our discipline. In order to take part, we ask you to write a
brief (max. 3 pages including references and short bio) personal statement
in the Extended Abstract format. Submissions should address one or more of
the following questions - or a related question that is important to you
and could also be important to others.

They should be sent in PDF format by the 1st of February 2019 to
- I think inclusion is an important aspect of the CHI community, because...
- I think we could improve inclusion at CHI by...
- I have been involved in campaigning for a cause related to..., and think
that we can learn from this activity and improve inclusion at CHI by...

Admittance will be on the basis of workshop relevance, and the potential of
contribution to discussions and actions, as reviewed by the workshop
organisers. We want to stress again here, that no prior experience or
research in this field is necessary to take part in the workshop - only a
willingness to take part in making HCI more inclusive! If accepted, we
require that at least one author of the submission attends the workshop,
who must also register for at least one day of the conference.

*https://chinclusive.glitch.me/ <https://chinclusive.glitch.me/>*

Organizers:
Angelika Strohmeyer (Newcastle University), Cayley MacArthur (University of
Waterloo), Velvet Spors (University of Nottingham), Michael Muller (IBM
Research), Morgan Vigil-Hayes (Northern Arizona University), and Ebtisam
Alabdulqader (Newcastle University)
-----
Michael Muller, PhD, IBM Research, Cambridge MA USA
ACM Distinguished Scientist
ACM SIGCHI Academy
IBM Master Inventor