From:
Richard Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:25:14 -0500
The Human Oriented Technology Laboratory (HOT Lab) of the Psychology
Department at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada is seeking highly
qualified applicants for Post Doctoral Fellowships and scholarships to
pursue studies toward MA and PhD degrees in HCI and user-centred design.

The HOT Lab has extensive financial support for exciting research in
e-commerce, cybercartography and mobile devices. Qualified students with
interests in any of the following topics are encouraged to apply for
scholarships including the prestigious Cognos Robert Minns Scholarship and
the Cognos Richard Soderstrom Scholarship.
 * Task/user modeling
 * Multimedia/multimodal UI design
 * Mobile computing
 * UI Design process
 * CSCW/collaboration
 * Decision making in design
 * Navigation
Applicants for Post Doctoral Fellowships should have interests and expertise
in one or more of the same areas.

Students hoping to enroll in the MA or PhD program starting in September
2003 should submit applications before February 1, 2003 to ensure
consideration for scholarships.

Candidates for Post Doctoral Fellowships may apply any time but are
encouraged to submit their application before February 1, 2003. The highly
competitive two-year Fellowships include an attractive salary as well as a
generous research budget.

The HOT Lab, located in Ottawa the capital of Canada and a Canadian centre
of high technology, has offered graduate training and research in HCI for a
quarter of a century. With close ties to industry and government, the HOT
Lab is expanding. We will move into a new, well-equipped building in 2004.
Our research in e-commerce is a collaborative project with the University of
Ottawa, McMaster University, Queens University and numerous industrial
partners including Cognos, IBM, SAP. Our role in the project is to address
all usability issues in e-commerce.
(http://www.ornec.ca/)

The cybercartography project is a multidisciplinary effort to develop two
multimedia online atlases. We are responsible for user-interface and
usability issues including navigation, use of multimedia, etc.
(http://www.carleton.ca/geography/geography/Taylor_research.html)

For more information on scholarships and Post doctoral fellowships in the
HOT Lab, see http://www.carleton.ca/hotlab/ or contact Dr. Gitte Lindgaard
at [log in to unmask] or 1-613-520 2600 ext 2255. For information
about the graduate program in the Department of Psychology, including
application requirements and procedure, go to
http://www.carleton.ca/psychology/graduate/index.html