From:
"Lammers, H.A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lammers, H.A.
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:57:57 +0000
Dear colleagues,

ECCE 2019 - 31st European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics

We are happy to inform you that, due to many requests, the paper submission deadline for ECCE 2019 has been extended to 8th March, 2019 (firm and final). We do hope you will take this opportunity to submit a paper.

Please find below details on the confirmed keynote talks at ECCE 2019, 10-13 September 2019, Belfast, Northern Ireland

http://ecce2019.eace.net

*** Due date for all paper submissions: 8th March 2019 ***

Registration is open at http://ecce2019.eace.net

ECCE 2019 is the 31st annual conference of the European Association of Cognitive Ergonomics (EACE). This leading conference in human-computer interaction, human factors design and cognitive engineering offers an unparalleled opportunity for both researchers and practitioners to exchange new ideas and practical experiences from a variety of domains. Our special theme for ECCE in 2019 is ‘Designing for Cognition’. Interacting with digital technologies, apps, wearables, ‘Internet of Things’ can be cognitively and emotionally demanding in our everyday lives. Now more than ever, we need to consider how ‘Designing for Cognition’ can help us engage in and enjoy seamless intuitive interactions.

KEYNOTES

John McCarthy, University College Cork. "Nurturing belonging in design" - Involving potential users in design has been a byword in HCI since its inception. With everyday computing controlled by multinational companies, pervasive media manipulating social and political life, and the cognitive consequences of automation and robotics poorly understood, involving people in the design of their systems is more important than ever. It is arguable that a human-centred, participatory approach to software design is essential for the design of systems (and processes and services) to embody societally-valued qualities that enrich people’s experience and enable them to develop their full potential. In practice, the lived experience of ‘taking part’ is complex. It can mean anything from being consulted through being represented to belonging; being informants and/or co-authors. In this talk, I will explore the idea that when the outcome matters personally, ‘participation’ entails a position with respect to ‘belonging’. I will examine different experiences of belonging and how they relate to different logics of participation that have been employed in design projects. In doing this, I will work between the very intimate context of a project designing for people with advanced dementia in care to the apparently less personal context of designing for digital civic imaginaries, in which technology is provided with little consideration of relevant expertise, experience and judgment. In both cases, a lack of appreciation of the expertise and values that may already be there and the expertise and values that could be enhanced by taking part.

Alan Dix, Computational Foundry, Swansea University. "Cognition as Material: personality prostheses and other stories" - The golden rule of design is 'understand your materials'.  For human activities and human science those materials include the physical and mental abilities of people and their individual personalities and cognitive styles.  Within our own academic or design endeavours those people may be the subject of our studies, but also include ourselves.  If we wish to design for people we need to understand them, and if we wish to do this effectively, we need to understand ourselves.  In this talk I will analyse examples of processes and tools based on such understanding including some that foster technical creativity, even amongst those who would not consider themselves creative, and some that help in the difficult process of academic writing.  Crucially, I will discuss personality prosthesis: taking seriously our differences in personality and seeing how each individual can surround themselves with structures and scaffolding that enables them to achieve their goals given who they are.  For this I will also draw on lessons from my own thousand-mile walk around Wales in 2013.

Nadia Berthouze, University College London, "Look at my body ... what does it tell you?" - In my talk I will highlight how we express affect through our bodies in everyday activities and how technology can be designed to read those expressions and even to modulate them. Among various applications, I will present our work on technology for chronic pain management and discuss how such technology can lead to more effective physical rehabilitation by integrating it in everyday activities and supporting people at both physical and affective levels. I will explore how full body technology can be enriched with affect awareness capabilities to facilitate learning in children. Finally, I will also discuss how this sensing technology enables us to go beyond simply measuring and reflecting on one’s behaviour by exploiting embodied bottom-up mechanisms that enhance the perception of one’s body and its capabilities.

IMPORTANT DATES

08 March 2019, 5 pm (BST): Deadline for all submissions

03 May 2019: Author notification

31 May 2019, 5pm (BST): Camera-ready version of all accepted contributions*

01 July 2019, 5pm (BST): Early registration deadline

10 September 2019: ECCE 2019 Doctoral Consortium and Workshops

11-13 September 2019: ECCE 2019 Conference

Submissions should be made through the EasyChair Reviewing System:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ecce2019

* One author per accepted paper is required to register and attend the conference to guarantee publication in the proceedings.

LOCATION AND VENUE

The conference will take place at Ulster University’s Belfast Campus, in the heart of Belfast city centre, and will be hosted by Ulster University. The venue is in close proximity to many hotels, restaurants, and bars. Belfast is well connected with 2 airports, and given the conference venue is located in the city centre, the attractions and facilities are within walking distance. See www.visitbelfast.com for more information. Visitors also commonly travel via Dublin Airport, where there is a regular direct shuttle to Belfast city centre.

CONFERENCE OUTLINE AT A GLANCE

Tuesday 10 September 2019: Doctoral Consortium & Workshops

Wednesday-Friday 11-13 September 2019: Main conference

CONFERENCE GENERAL CHAIRS

Prof Maurice Mulvenna, Dr Raymond Bond